prayer warriors (following Jesus Christ, everyone welcome)

this evening's verse and question: was my hearing loss a "thorn"? Should I have an implant and become a "bionic man"? or should I accept my thorn? What might your thorn be?

2 Corinthians 12:7

[ A Thorn in the Flesh ] Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself!

Wow, that's deep... :th
On one hand, you could get the implant and be able to hear better, henceforth being more physically able to share the Gospel.
But on the other hand, having that one weakness keeps us humble. God gives us all that thorn in the flesh to remind us that we aren't perfect, we can't take care of ourselves, and that we all NEED GOD!

Just a note to share with others. My daughter was born with nerve deafness in both ears. There was times of frustration in crowds for her. But she excelled in school and about everything that she tried to do in life. She counts the blessings of not hearing good. For example: Noise doesn't keep her awake, she doesn't hear people talking about her, she can focus without as many outside distractions as others etc...

this evening's verse and question: was my hearing loss a "thorn"? Should I have an implant and become a "bionic man"? or should I accept my thorn? What might your thorn be?

2 Corinthians 12:7

[ A Thorn in the Flesh ] Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself!

Just ONE? lol there are days where I feel like I have ten! But of course, most of those were self inflicted ha-ha.... Mine was definitely set up for a reason. I was a cruel spoiled, snotty brat at 15, when I got my first hearing aids. In high school. A big one. With bullies :( Talk about an immediate slam to the ego. It's what caused my downward spiral into depression and drug use, and almost suicide. Thinking that this " thorn" had ruined my life.... I thought my heavenly Father had given me a snake instead of a fish ;)

But God also gave us this huge brain, creative minds, abilities to heal with doctors and medicine... If I had cancer I wouldn't deny treatment just based on feeling like I didn't think just praying would be enough. I would use prayer AND medicine, then heal to be able to come testify to the grace of God and help someone else find the same healing.

Might just be me though lol...at this point, my hearing is so far gone that implants won't help, and the kind of damage it is is progressive, so I will just lose it again. I'm thankful that it was slow progression, so I could gradually get used to it and come to enjoy my own kind of "quiet" that not many get to experience ;)

Just a note to share with others. My daughter was born with nerve deafness in both ears. There was times of frustration in crowds for her. But she excelled in school and about everything that she tried to do in life. She counts the blessings of not hearing good. For example: Noise doesn't keep her awake, she doesn't hear people talking about her, she can focus without as many outside distractions as others etc...

EXACTLY. Bless her heart, it sounds like she's taking it way better than I did :) It truly can be a blessing to not hear some of the evil in this world sometimes. And on good days, I can sit in just the right place and I will be able to hear a bird plain as day. I love those moments and know to cherish them now, because I won't always be able to.

I think that verse six below is interesting. Why is Jesus' message offensive to some?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Matthew 11:4-6 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

4 Jesus answered and said to them, “Go and report to John what you hear and see: 5 the blind receive sight and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. 6 And blessed is he who does not take offense at Me.”

I think that verse six below is interesting. Why is Jesus' message offensive to some?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Matthew 11:4-6 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

4 Jesus answered and said to them, “Go and report to John what you hear and see: 5 the blind receive sight and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. 6 And blessed is he who does not take offense at Me.”
Perhaps because they love the sin that they live in

John, was part of your post XXXXX'd out?

Jesus is an offense to some b/c to acknowledge Jesus is to acknowledge sin. Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father but through me. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and man, the Man Christ Jesus. There is none righteous, no not one. For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

As prideful humans, we want to think that we are in control of our own destiny. We want to think that we are better than the next guy. Surely, I'm not as bad a sinner as my neighbor. Surely, my good deeds must outweigh my bad deeds. Surely, God will be pleased with me if only I do such and such. But, there is only one way to be seen as righteous in God's sight: that is through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. If I am good enough on my own, then Jesus did not have to humble Himself, become fully human while still fully God, to live a sinless life, so that he could become the final, sinless, spotless Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, for all who will believe.

So, then, what will we do with this Jesus? Because in the end, the answer to that question is the single most important question, and most important answer any one will ever deal with in their life time.

I come here today to ask you all to step over to the "My leukemia is back" thread and read the last few pages. Long story short, my friend Rachel has been fighting a hard battle in the hospital for over a month now. She has decided to go home with hospice care to spend her remaining time with her family. I ask you all to lift her and her family up in prayer. If you are so motivated, there is a gofundme account set up for the family. LittleLakePhil has contact information.

John, was part of your post XXXXX'd out?

Jesus is an offense to some b/c to acknowledge Jesus is to acknowledge sin. Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father but through me. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and man, the Man Christ Jesus. There is none righteous, no not one. For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

As prideful humans, we want to think that we are in control of our own destiny. We want to think that we are better than the next guy. Surely, I'm not as bad a sinner as my neighbor. Surely, my good deeds must outweigh my bad deeds. Surely, God will be pleased with me if only I do such and such. But, there is only one way to be seen as righteous in God's sight: that is through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. If I am good enough on my own, then Jesus did not have to humble Himself, become fully human while still fully God, to live a sinless life, so that he could become the final, sinless, spotless Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, for all who will believe.

So, then, what will we do with this Jesus? Because in the end, the answer to that question is the single most important question, and most important answer any one will ever deal with in their life time.

I come here today to ask you all to step over to the "My leukemia is back" thread and read the last few pages. Long story short, my friend Rachel has been fighting a hard battle in the hospital for over a month now. She has decided to go home with hospice care to spend her remaining time with her family. I ask you all to lift her and her family up in prayer. If you are so motivated, there is a gofundme account set up for the family. LittleLakePhil has contact information.

None of my post was xxxxx(ed) out, I put in the xxxxx to separate my words from those of the Bible

Back
Top Bottom