predator attack!

Kesta

Pie Crust Malfunction
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
houston tx
one of my ten week old pullets was attacked by a raccoon early this morning!shes still alive but hurt. she ran under our shed as soon as the racoon dropped her.my step dad who was the one who discovered her in the racoons mouth said that she was bleeding and when he went to touch her she ran under the shed and i cant get to her. when she comes out if i can catch her what should i do to help her

I would suggest separating her into a quiet place, if you can wash out the wounds (Your going to need help) and I'd give her a antibiotic- not sure what would be the best one, but atleast look her over, wash wounds, give her plenty of water and feed.
I'm certain someone will step in an post more suggestions, but this will bump it to the top for you so someone will see it.
Good luck and I'll be thinking of you!!

get a rake (use the long handle part) and gently coax her out.
put electrolytes in her waterer and separate to a nice quiet temp stable place after you have flushed the wounds with out with sterile saline.
What ABs do you have on hand?

Last edited:
not surew but i have to go to school in a few minutes and i dont even think i have any electrolytes

I wish you luck with her recovery.
hugs.gif
Hang in there! Systemic antibiotics will be key.

apparently my pullet decided she didnt need any of that. when i got home from school she was running around like it never happened. just in case though all of our chickens are sleeping in our very secure shed.including that pullet.

If she was bleeding she has wounds. I would get her out, look her over and clean any wounds really well and if need be put aintibiotic ointment on it. Neosporin is good.

Let us know how it goes.

turns out my stepdad gave us a bad story. he wasnt even sure if she was bleeding. it was only dark and she ran off almost immediately.

Back
Top Bottom