Predator proofing gaps around doors

BookWormDenise

Songster
Jun 3, 2022
East Texas
Are these small gaps around coop doors ok? Or do we need to figure out some way to block them? They’re all less than half an inch.

717A552B-257E-4AA1-959D-0364EDC71917.jpeg

Rats and mice can collapse their skeletons vertically to squeeze through those openings. Best to use some lathing or furring strips to cover those cracks. Snakes might also be able to slither through. If you wish to retain these cracks for ventilation, then just cover the lower three feet.

Rats and mice can collapse their skeletons vertically to squeeze through those openings. Best to use some lathing or furring strips to cover those cracks. Snakes might also be able to slither through. If you wish to retain these cracks for ventilation, then just cover the lower three feet.
Thank you!! It looked like a lot of daylight shining through to me but my husband thinks I’m a paranoid nutter! :lol:

Thank you!! It looked like a lot of daylight shining through to me but my husband thinks I’m a paranoid nutter! :lol:

IMO unless you have the tiniest of rats, they shouldn't be able to fit in a 1/2" or smaller gap. I've had pet dwarf rats and they'd be hard pressed to squish into a gap like that.

Tiny mice or snakes might, but anything that small is more likely to end up as a chicken snack.

But yes if you're very worried then just covering the bottom few feet of gap space should be enough to ward off intrusion.

IMO unless you have the tiniest of rats, they shouldn't be able to fit in a 1/2" or smaller gap. I've had pet dwarf rats and they'd be hard pressed to squish into a gap like that.

Tiny mice or snakes might, but anything that small is more likely to end up as a chicken snack.

But yes if you're very worried then just covering the bottom few feet of gap space should be enough to ward off intrusion.
Thank you!! My husband is really wanting to be done with this coop because I’m already wanting him to build a second one!

Back
Top Bottom