Predator proofing new coop

Unswydd

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
Central Illinois
Well the rain finally stopped and I am able to dig. I dug a trench around 3/4 of the coop and reenforced all the hardware cloth with 1/4 in. Now I'm not sure if I need to do the back because the coop is dug into a slope. What do you think?

Here are the photos

Attachments

• 20200526_122852.jpg
    20200526_122852.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200526_122834.jpg
    20200526_122834.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 19
Are usually run my skirt about 2 foot out. Not on a slope. If you take some closer up pictures we can suggest a other predator proof it measures too

And I would do all sides regardless of the slope. It's amazing what some of the smaller predators can accomplish. Really really amazing. I've gotten to the point where I put a hardware cloth skirt around my coop and around my run even though the coop is inside of the predator proof run I take no chances

And I thought I might suggest using something else to attach the hardware cloth to the sides of the run. Right now it looks like Staples and I've known people who had raccoons able to rip the hardware cloth right off the top of staples right out. The best thing I've ever used for that is fencing nails Or taking a 1 x 2 or 2 x 4 and screwing it on the other side to kind of sandwich in the hardware cloth

I'm hoping now that the staples hold. There are 2 layers of hardware cloth, one inside and one outside. It took me all day yesterday to cut it and get it on. 😥 I could screw on some lumber tho to help hold it.
I don't know if I can dig another foot out. Tree roots and age are getting the best of me right now. In other words I'm exhausted. 🤪 Sometimes it would be nice to have a man around to help. 😁
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll dig out the back on the slope. I had no choice but to put it where it is, I'm in town and I have to work with what I have. ☹️

How cute! I hear you with digging has it's limits. Can you dump a few bags of quick set concrete around in the trench you dug? It's worked for me when I can't dig super deep. So then in essence the barrier is as deep as the wire will go but also it's wide (as wide as your trench.) Seems to stop all of the little paws and such from digging. 10years, no issues here. Just an idea....

How cute! I hear you with digging has it's limits. Can you dump a few bags of quick set concrete around in the trench you dug? It's worked for me when I can't dig super deep. So then in essence the barrier is as deep as the wire will go but also it's wide (as wide as your trench.) Seems to stop all of the little paws and such from digging. 10years, no issues here. Just an idea....
What a brilliant idea!!!! I just happen to have some in the shed!!! WOOOHOOO! I LOVE IT! THANK YOU! You have probably saved me and my girls! 💖

I'm hoping now that the staples hold. There are 2 layers of hardware cloth, one inside and one outside. It took me all day yesterday to cut it and get it on. 😥 I could screw on some lumber tho to help hold it.

Don't rely on hope. Sandwich some wood over the ends or use screws with fender washers to make sure the wire stays secured in place.

Back
Top Bottom