Predator Specific coop/run protection

dkellogg3

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2018
New Fairfield CT
Hey all -

New to chicken keeping, and new to the site. Have been pecking around a bit, and now have a questions.

So, we decied to start keeping chickens this year. Due to time constraints, we decided to go with a coop kit Summerhawk Ranch XL, with a built add on run.

We're in western CT, just north of Danbury. Sightings in my town include: squirrel, racoon, skunk, fox, bobcat, fisher cat, coyote, and black bears.

Planning on embedding a 24" hardware cloth skirt horizontally @3" below ground surface, and shoring up any parts of the coop that may seem insufficient.

Any other ideas?

THanks,
Don

Last edited:
We'd most likely have to see a picture to advise you properly, but it sounds like you are going in the correct direction. I will say from personal experience that any opening more than 1x2 inches is really risking it for racoons. They can and WILL get through a smaller space than you would expect, and if it's big enough to fit their paw through, they will simply grab your chickens and kill them without even needing to get inside the pen. Basically, you need to have an area where they can at least roost at night that animals can reach through. Completely enclosed with wood or metal is best, the rest of the run can be hardware fencing.

Thanks Drew.

Sue - is that directed at me?

For the run I'm thinking 6' high out of 2x3s w/hardware cloth (1/2"). Can the "roof" be chicken wire or netting? Or should it be HW cloth?

Last edited:
Thanks Drew.

Sue - is that directed at me?

For the run I'm thinking 6' high out of 2x3s w/hardware cloth (1/2"). Can the "roof" be chicken wire or netting? Or should it be HW cloth?
I'm using bird netting, but I am not saying it's predator proof, just somewhat resistant. Nothing has tried to get in in the 3 years of use. Chickens are locked in coop at night.

I'm using bird netting, but I am not saying it's predator proof, just somewhat resistant. Nothing has tried to get in in the 3 years of use. Chickens are locked in coop at night.
I use deer netting for the same purpose. I think the deer netting is more durable, especially when it comes to attachment points.

Follow up questions:
1. for the skirting - 1/2" hardware cloth or 1x2 fencing?
2. skirting buried or on top of ground & pinned down? Seems that a smart animal might see it if on top and work around it.

Thanks,
Don

Due to time constraints, we decided to go with a coop kit Summerhawk Ranch XL, with a built add on run.
This coop?..is tiny, tiny.

Follow up questions:
1. for the skirting - 1/2" hardware cloth or 1x2 fencing?
2. skirting buried or on top of ground & pinned down? Seems that a smart animal might see it if on top and work around it.

Thanks,
Don
They'll dig at the bottom of wall
Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Back
Top Bottom