Predator took all 5 hens last night! I feel horrible!

Pics
Nature is hard, predators are as opportunistic as they need to be. You are a great loving conscientious carer. And you can provide a great home. I’ve found when losses of any of my beloved pets happen that getting another as quickly as possible is a wonderful healing balm. As people we miss routines too. Having something to fill that “chicken chores time” is very important to me. I don’t think it disrespects the last pet but pays tribute. You apply knowledge that their lives bestowed on you. Every life you care for better prepares you for the next. You enjoy the chores, the rituals, the relationships the personalities. Don’t punish yourself forever by not allowing yourself to have these enjoyments any more. Try to let the feelings happen then move on. Live in the present. It’s impossible to stay dwelling in your sadness and guilt when you have fuzzies to clean up after. Busyness is a great cure. Please don’t stop giving a wonderful home to quirky funny birds. Make that the legacy of your lost friends. Looking out at an empty yard will be a sadness trigger every single day. I had to cull my entire flock of 5. It about broke my heart. I had to wait 4 months to get new chicks. Talk about a happy day. Now I still fondly remember every single bird. They are proudly on photo mugs and in albums with family photos but I don’t think of that terrible day much anymore and my new lot are quick to distract when I do. Animals are in our lives to teach us lessons, to slow down, to be still, to laugh at ourselves, to love with our whole hearts and to cope with loss.

Something popped in my head as I was reading through threads. If you can bring yourself to get chickens again which in my opinion I really think you should. But have you ever thought of maybe adopting rescue hens. It would be giving them a good life again. Do you already have the set up and the heart which are the two main things that those chickens need. Just throwing that out there as a suggestion. And definitely understand healing time being needed
I have definitely considered that ❤. And miss my chickens horribly already/still. My neighbors are also mourning as they loved my chickens as well. My friend works at a rescue ranch and they always have chickens, usually roos, but they do get hens. My biggest worry is that this could happen again. I know I would be extra vigilant but I still am immersed in guilt. It being completely my fault, I am just feeling like I dont deserve a second chance, as I ruined the lives of 5 sweet hens I was supposed to protect. I know that is a bit dramatic on my part and sounds like a martyr statement or the thinking of a 5 year old, I just feel that way right now in my heart....sadness and guilt.

Nature is hard, predators are as opportunistic as they need to be. You are a great loving conscientious carer. And you can provide a great home. I’ve found when losses of any of my beloved pets happen that getting another as quickly as possible is a wonderful healing balm. As people we miss routines too. Having something to fill that “chicken chores time” is very important to me. I don’t think it disrespects the last pet but pays tribute. You apply knowledge that their lives bestowed on you. Every life you care for better prepares you for the next. You enjoy the chores, the rituals, the relationships the personalities. Don’t punish yourself forever by not allowing yourself to have these enjoyments any more. Try to let the feelings happen then move on. Live in the present. It’s impossible to stay dwelling in your sadness and guilt when you have fuzzies to clean up after. Busyness is a great cure. Please don’t stop giving a wonderful home to quirky funny birds. Make that the legacy of your lost friends. Looking out at an empty yard will be a sadness trigger every single day. I had to cull my entire flock of 5. It about broke my heart. I had to wait 4 months to get new chicks. Talk about a happy day. Now I still fondly remember every single bird. They are proudly on photo mugs and in albums with family photos but I don’t think of that terrible day much anymore and my new lot are quick to distract when I do. Animals are in our lives to teach us lessons, to slow down, to be still, to laugh at ourselves, to love with our whole hearts and to cope with loss.
You are exactly right about the emptiness, you hit the nail on the head. This morning before work I took food and water out as I always do, first for my 2 ducks, then my chickens....which are gone (it has become such a part of my day, which also nags me as I still don't know why Thursday night I got distracted and forgot to close the front of the pen-I did the back and side, as always). It is a constant reminder already, even though this happened a day ago.....

Thank you for the kind words ❤. Since I have now lost my beloved hens, I am not going to get any more. I cannot go through this heartache again. Wow!!! Your pics are definitely concerning, cameras are an awesome idea!!!!
In my humble opinion....you should focus on the five years of joy your birds provided you....and the five years of excellent care you provided them. Please do not allow this (fox?) that stole your birds to steal your future birds as well!! You learned a tough lesson....one many here have also learned. "When we know better....we do better". Get yourself a new flock...they will help you move on. Sorry this happened to you and your girls.

In my humble opinion....you should focus on the five years of joy your birds provided you....and the five years of excellent care you provided them. Please do not allow this (fox?) that stole your birds to steal your future birds as well!! You learned a tough lesson....one many here have also learned. "When we know better....we do better". Get yourself a new flock...they will help you move on. Sorry this happened to you and your girls.
Thank you for the kind and encouraging words. I lost a 'special needs' silkie a while back to a hawk (I found her body and my others hiding). I felt horribly and it made me extra vigilant and did not lose another to a predator until now. A big part of my issue is that I have no closure (no bodies to bury, etc.) just a loss. This is a first for me as I have always buried my beloved pets from old age or death or in that case of my special needs chick, a hawk.

D%$n, sorry about your loss ChloeMae, I lost one of my favorites last year to a stupid dog. Wild predators have become emboldened by habitat loss and closeness to human occupation. I wish there was something we could do for you. Do you know how they got in?
Thank you for the kind words. It was completely my fault...for the first time in 5 years I had accidentally shut the other coop doors but left the front one open.....

Back
Top Bottom