Pregnant dog??

Pics
This I agree with. I can provide an example of "when things go wrong".

We purchased a bloodhound pup from a friend who owns both parent dogs.
Mom dog is big at 115#. There were 12 in that litter.

Well in the middle of the night she accidentally stepped on a little male breaking his leg and of course he was crying out. That set mom to moving around A LOT.
Due to a baby monitor the owners were able to quickly step in. No telling how bad things could have gone without that monitor.
Especially since this is her first litter. She's a new, inexperienced mom. She's likely to make mistakes here and there — a baby monitor is just a little safety net.

Black noses and open eyes!!
F58306C3-CB31-4A79-A223-73A78CBC1EC1.jpeg

What would be a good price to sell some of them for? The parents aren’t registered or anything like that.

That depends....

Will they be vetted? Wormed? First shots? I very strongly recommend having all this done.

Then what is the demand in your area?

While it may be legal to separate them from mom at 8 weeks, I find dogs that don't leave mom til 12 weeks to be much easier to deal with for the new owners. They learn a lot from mom in that extra month.

Last edited:
What would be a good price to sell some of them for? The parents aren’t registered or anything like that.
I don't know what price is reasonable in your area, but here are a few ideas for finding out:

Since you got the parents only a year or so ago, think about how much they cost.

You could look on craigslist in your area, and see what other people are charging for livestock guardian puppies.

Or look in the newspaper for ads.

Or ask your vet if they have ideas.

Or see if someone has a bulletin board that people can hang ads on, then read the ads to see what the going rate is. You might find such a board at the vet, at the pet store, at the animal food store, or even at a grocery store. (Such boards were very common a few decades ago, less common since the internet became a big thing, but I do still see them at some places.)

Moms need to be kept on a leash because if they are immature moms they will run away as far from there puppies as they can
In some cases yes..but not always.
My female was just under one when she had puppies and she would not leave their side for anything, I had to pick her up and carry her outside, so that she would use the bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom