Prepared seed cakes or suet...hhmmmm

whoopinha

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Hello Folks! Brand new to the forum. I have read a great deal of good information here, thanks. I have six laying hens, this is my first time raising hens and I am already in love!! The girls really are a bright spot in my day.

My question is regarding prepared seed cakes and suet for hens. I have seen the seed cakes for songbirds that seem to have most of the goodies talked about here. Wondering if anyone has a thought on those.

Also, I am in central Massachusetts and I am already thinking ahead to cold winter nights. Would suet help the girls prepare for the cold as it does for feeder birds?

Whoopinha

I can't wait to see everyone's replies. I was curious about that too. Can chickens eat bird seed? I always thought of buying them a songbird "treat". I'll keep watching! Welcome...
smile.png

I give mine the occasional cake of suet to fight over in the winter as a treat. I hang it in a suet feeder cage thing in the barn area so they are entertained while getting a yummy treat.

I was wondering the same thing,

Where I used to board my horses at, they raised organic beef, chicken and eggs and the owners routinely ate various sorts of stew and roasts for dinner. The next day, they would take the roasting pan out with congealed leftovers to the barn for the chickens and barn cats. If they can have thickened gravy, why not suet? I plan to give our hens some suet cakes (maybe find some small wheel ones) for our Michigan winters. Just keep an eye on their weight and their droppings. The manure may be a little greasy or runny afterward.

They like just plain old birdseed too, but I don't give it to them very often. My chickens absolute, no doubt about it favorite treat is millet seed designed for caged birds. Great idea about the suet cakes. I'll have to try them.

Back
Top Bottom