Pressure treated wood inside coop

Wisegirl99

Songster
5 Years
Oct 19, 2018
we recently built our Coop, and I realized that some of the inside wood that's in our coop is pressure treated. Unfortunately, there is no way to change this because it is supporting structure for the coop. What do you all recommend? I have Behr Deck Over Paint, which is very thick paint for painting a deck, it's supposed to last 10 years on a deck. Would this work to paint all pressure treated wood on the inside of the coop with this, and would it protect the chickens from the pressure treated wood?

we recently built our Coop, and I realized that some of the inside wood that's in our coop is pressure treated. Unfortunately, there is no way to change this because it is supporting structure for the coop. What do you all recommend? I have Behr Deck Over Paint, which is very thick paint for painting a deck, it's supposed to last 10 years on a deck. Would this work to paint all pressure treated wood on the inside of the coop with this, and would it protect the chickens from the pressure treated wood?
Pressure treated is perfectly fine. But if you want easy cleaning I would paint over with apoxie floor paint. But you have to make sure the wood is extremely dry.

If it's not treated in some way, it better be a very rot resistant (expensive!) wood, or you must like frequent repairs.
Mine is a combination, with pressure treated at ground level, and some old treated fence posts as framing too. It's all fine.
Cedar, Osage Orange, black locust, and redwood could be used untreated. I have some cedar here and there.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom