Prevention of COCCIDIOSIS and other poultry diseases in chicks~ ACV.

so was trolling through the forums and started reading about fermenting the grains to feed the meat birds and also the layers. I kept seeing the acronym ACV.... apple cider vinegar but with the mother in it to keep everything working smoothly. so then I was "mother"? after looking through many posts I figured out what was going on... yay!
I had cancer in 2010 and during my treatment I made my own fermented milk... yes it didn't taste that great but my health was great and I had no side effects from the chemotherapy at all! I am still free of cancer and am now starting my own flock of layers. I have started a meal worm farm to get good protein in the birds and now have found what is for all intents is a kombucha that we use for fermented tea to give us antioxidants and other health benefits. I am definitely going to get the Bragg's and 2 frozen apple juice containers to start my culture and start fermenting the feed for my chicks!
thanks for all the great posts!

My aunt drank buttermilk all through her treatments~they were token treatments...the docs didn't think they would help at all but tried them anyway~ and even past that and she got better for a long while, against all odds...the doctors called it her "Buttermilk Cure". She finally did pass as the CA was all through her body but she lasted much longer than anyone expected and even the doctors attributed it to the buttermilk.

I'm glad you are going to try the FF(fermented feeds)...have you found our two big threads on that? One in the meat chicken section and another in the feed and water section. Lot's of info and good people to answer questions can be found on those threads.

Welcome to BYC!!!
woot.gif

Thanks so much! Yes I have found the threads on both the Ff and also the ACV. Braggs with 2 frozen apple juice concentrate into a gallon jug cover with coffee filter and secure . wait about a month to see culture on top. Use that culture on new jug and use the current culture to ferment feed by the stacked bucket system. Great info!

Thanks so much! Yes I have found the threads on both the Ff and also the ACV. Braggs with 2 frozen apple juice concentrate into a gallon jug cover with coffee filter and secure . wait about a month to see culture on top. Use that culture on new jug and use the current culture to ferment feed by the stacked bucket system. Great info!

You could just put a little Braggs into a jug of regular ACV and inoculate the whole jug...that way you won't have to wait. When your jug gets low, just add it to a new jug of plain ol' ACV. That can go on exponentially.

dragging hand down face.... wow i read that and totally let it go by. got caught up in letting the culture grow first to fit into what i am used to. just add to acv and all set. much faster and easier.

Last edited:
What a great thread. Another great contribution by Beekissed. Can't believe I'm just now finding it. I have had my chicks on Bragg's ACV from the start, and I was wondering if you continue to use it through chickhood. Based on what I've read on this thread, it sounds like people use it for their flocks even when they are adults. Is that correct?

What a great thread. Another great contribution by Beekissed. Can't believe I'm just now finding it. I have had my chicks on Bragg's ACV from the start, and I was wondering if you continue to use it through chickhood. Based on what I've read on this thread, it sounds like people use it for their flocks even when they are adults. Is that correct?

I usually do. Now that I feed the FF I don't need to but it's a good idea if one is not feeding a good probiotic rich feed.

The thread has an error on the first page and I've learned so much since starting it....but...alas...BYC doesn't let us edit those old threads.
he.gif
I'd love to change it to reflect more accurate info on mother vinegar.

I usually do. Now that I feed the FF I don't need to but it's a good idea if one is not feeding a good probiotic rich feed.

The thread has an error on the first page and I've learned so much since starting it....but...alas...BYC doesn't let us edit those old threads.
he.gif
I'd love to change it to reflect more accurate info on mother vinegar.

just add the new info here showing it's new and improved info! ...lol it never hurts to start over when you know better than when you started the first time.

just add the new info here showing it's new and improved info! ...lol it never hurts to start over when you know better than when you started the first time.

I thought of that but it gets buried in the thread and folks usually just read the first few pages and the last few. No matter, it will all come out in the wash, as my granny used to say.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom