Prevention of COCCIDIOSIS and other poultry diseases in chicks~ ACV.

I've been adding Braggs ACV with the mother since day 1. Only 1 or 2 cases of pasty butt and everyone has stayed very healthy :) I drink ACV drinks myself. I'm thinking I may start to make my own ACV now.

Well, I guess if so many are using acv ,the chickens will drink the water with it ? Is this the only water you give? Thanks!

Beekissed, I just sent you a PM but for some reason the website told me there was an error and to try again later so I am sending it thru the thread maybe I can be lucky and you can read it since I am very interested in your opinion.
This is what I wrote:

I am new in keeping chickens (two years) and ever since I started reading posts in BYC I have been giving ACV to my flock. I am completely sold on this because I absolutely believe in all the good it does to the chickens digestive and immune systems. I have a fecal test done every four months and so far they all have come back negative, my vet says to keep on doing what I am doing because it is working.
I live in South Texas where it gets horribly hot in the summer, I read that we should not give ACV to the chickens during this time because their panting produces acidosis and if you add vinegar to it, it makes the pH to acidic. I would like to know if this is information that I should rely upon, or it is something that somebody just came up with. Do you happen to know anything about this issue? Your help will be very much appreciated.

I answered your PM but I'll state it here for others also...don't know where that story line got cooked up but if you'll mosey on over to the Texas thread you'll find all sorts of folks over there giving ACV in the water and also feeding fermented feeds, so no danger of acidosis to the chooks in the hot weather there.

I already bought some electrolytes and probiotics before reading this thread! Can they be mixed in with the ACV? Thanks!!

I really want to start giving my chickens ACV but I only have pasteurized and can't get unpasteurized very easily. Does pasteurized still have at least some benefits? I was also wondering if its possible to get good bacteria growing back in it and turn it into unpasteurized? Has anyone tried adding unpasteurized ACV to a pasteurized bottle and getting the mother to grow??

Last edited:
I really want to start giving my chickens ACV but I only have pasteurized and can't get unpasteurized very easily. Does pasteurized still have at least some benefits? I was also wondering if its possible to get good bacteria growing back in it and turn it into unpasteurized? Has anyone tried adding unpasteurized ACV to a pasteurized bottle and getting the mother to grow??

Our local Walmart starting carrying it. It's not the Braggs brand, but the Heinz Unpasturized ACV which happens to be cheaper than Braggs.

If you want to make your own, this tells you how:

http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/09/diy-make-your-own-apple-cider-vinegar.html

Just wanted to add our story of AVC added to water for chicks that we got from a feed store. We got 10 chicks (Australorp, Prodcution Reds, four banty chicks, and a silkie) from the feed store and 10 chicks (Barred Rock mixed with mutt) from a local person. We got them on April 4 and 5. Not sure if this info is important but we are on well water and live on .5 of an acre. A month or so later we added four turkeys to the mix from the local feed store. One died 13 hours after we got it so we got a replacement. All four turkeys are growing nicely and we plan to have them for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The first day home we gave all of them pedialyte instead of water. The second day they get 1/2 water 1/2 pedialyte. The third day we started adding about 1 teaspoon of AVC (Bragg's brand) to their water (one gallon). Every time we filled the water we added some AVC. At first we measured it but now we just guess. We never had any problems with the chicks drinking the water. We started out on medicated feed. Then switched bags every time we got more between medicated and non-medicated. Now we feed non-medicated.

Four months later all of our chicks except one who a coon got are healthy, happy and doing really well. We have never had any problems with pasty butt, lice, mites or anything else (knock on wood).

The Australorps started laying and their eggs are perfect although small. The shells are not to hard but they are not soft at all. When we crack open the eggs they are perfect, just small, and taste great :)

Out of those chicks we ended up with 75% turning out to be roosters. All four of our turkeys are boys! We have had them for dinner (roo's) a few times now (some of the guts went to the ferrets who were in heaven) and they all looked great dressed out and tasted even better on the plate.

Does AVC work, for us and our chickens and turkeys it did!

Last edited:
I wish I had known all of this sooner. Sadly we discovered a few of our Cornish cross chicks dead this morning and then saw a few more of them pooping blood. Its Sunday and the one store that was open didn't have the corid (sp?). All we could do was get medicated feed in hopes of saving the chicks that may not of caught cocci yet. We watched one die as we cleaned the brooder area of the hen house. What a terrible death. We have lost eight babies today. Very sad :(

Back
Top Bottom