Cnjecker

Chirping
May 16, 2022
I have a 2 year old Ameraucana who would leave me a pretty green egg each day. She hasn’t laid in about 4 days but I find her in the nesting box each day- but no egg. All of my other hens lay brown eggs so I’m not confusing her eggs for another or vice versa. I’ve had a broody hen and she’s not acting broody to me. Just goes in like she’s laying but leaves and there’s no egg. Should I be concerned or has she moved past her egg laying years? Picture of my pretty girl for fun- she’s the one on the right.

Attachments

• EC7D610A-7D9E-49D4-92C4-BF7625E68128.jpeg
    EC7D610A-7D9E-49D4-92C4-BF7625E68128.jpeg
    809.3 KB · Views: 28
Is it possible that she is starting to molt? Could she be egg bound or have other reproductive concerns? Is she eating and drinking normally? Acting like her normal self?
She is totally her normal self besides the egg laying. Dust bathing, eating, drinking hunting bugs, etc. everything normal. We introduced a rooster earlier this year but she has laid countless eggs since we’ve had him so I don’t believe that’s the issue and she’s not an exclusive “favorite” of his either. Average sized rooster too, so unsure of any reproductive concerns. Didn’t even think of molting. I suppose it’s possible! Doesn’t look like she’s losing any feathers yet though- haven’t seen any around either.

I have 5 and 6 yr old hens still laying fairly well. As they get older, they do slow down. I don’t know if I have any hens that lay every single day. I have had hens that made hidden nests because of rivalry in the nest boxes. This is more likely with free range hens and more likely with one lower in the pecking order. It can be really hard to find these hidden nests, you have to become a detective. Sometimes there are egg thieves, such as snakes, or other chickens. If an egg is accidentally broken, they will eat it.
Anyway, good luck and keep us updated with her progress.

I have 5 and 6 yr old hens still laying fairly well. As they get older, they do slow down. I don’t know if I have any hens that lay every single day. I have had hens that made hidden nests because of rivalry in the nest boxes. This is more likely with free range hens and more likely with one lower in the pecking order. It can be really hard to find these hidden nests, you have to become a detective. Sometimes there are egg thieves, such as snakes, or other chickens. If an egg is accidentally broken, they will eat it.
Anyway, good luck and keep us updated with her progress.
Gotcha! She is one of the higher ladies in the pecking order since she’s our oldest hen. We also don’t freerange anymore because of certain predators and dogs and such. Their coop is off the ground and pretty much as predator proof as we could build (we’ve never had a snake, mouse, or other predator ever get in) so no egg snatching that way. I believe she’s starting to molt because her feathers look more raggedy today. Thank you!!

The heat also affects my hens and their egg production. It's obvious that they are troubled by the heat. I have been leaving frozen soda bottles (full of water) on the ground in their pen. They lay next to them or stand on them. I also freeze water in plastic bowls with fruit or veg scraps in them.

Back
Top Bottom