Proactive Care Using Herbs and Spices? Pre-Seasoning? LOL

ldrchickens

Songster
Jul 1, 2018
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
I have been reading a lot of fresheggsdaily.com lately and all about how she uses herbs and spices to keep her flock healthy. I wanted to start this thread to see if anyone else does this and for whoever does to share their tips and ideas. She says she starts them from day one on all sorts of natural immune boosting herbs and spices and she has never once had a sick chicken or lost one from anything but old age. I have put together a little "spice rub" if you will to sprinkle on my chickens feed consisting of equal parts by weight of cayenne pepper, cinnamon, black pepper thyme, oregano, ginger, garlic powder, thyme, basil, turmeric, vitamin supplement, and pro-biotic supplement. I also have garlic and oregano infused apple-cider vinegar to put in there water once a week. So c'mon and share and lets have fun!

I put ACV in my water once per week. I grow fresh herbs and greens to cut and feed to my chickens in a hanging feeder or they can eat themselves when foraging in the yard. I grow spearmint, peppermint, calendula, thyme, lemon thyme, basil, fresh pea shoots, rosemary, camomile, dill, oregano, marigolds, etc.

I also use to cut and put fresh in my nesting boxes for nesting box herbs. They smell nice and prevent pests. Plus if the chicks eat the leaves, it’s good for them.

I also use lavender essential oil in the cleaning fluid which they love. As I clean the coop out, they go right into it to check the new fresh digs. :)

I use garlic, oregano and ACV regularly. I don't use it every day; I like to give their system a rest. I also put a non-colloidal silver supplement in their water as my well frequently tests positive for E. Coli. and its anti-bacterial. I have yet to have any diseases in my flock. Maybe its luck, maybe its the supplements. If and when I do have disease issues I will turn to real medications.

what do you use for your cleaner? I soak orange peels, oregano, a splash of vanilla, and some sort of mint when i have it in white vinegar (which i also got from her blog). I seen she also does the same with cheap vodka but have yet to try.

I just mix 50/50 white vinegar and water and some drops of essential oil which is lavender. Got from Tillys Nest.

I use garlic, oregano and ACV regularly. I don't use it every day; I like to give their system a rest. I also put a non-colloidal silver supplement in their water as my well frequently tests positive for E. Coli. and its anti-bacterial. I have yet to have any diseases in my flock. Maybe its luck, maybe its the supplements. If and when I do have disease issues I will turn to real medications.
Same here! I do it once a weak for 2 to 3 days then change to plain fresh water. For sure when i sickness strikes use real medication. When i first got my chicks they caught something and i lost a few to it but used tylan and they are all good now. Except i believe it has caused one of my girls to have crop issues.

I put ACV in my water once per week. I grow fresh herbs and greens to cut and feed to my chickens in a hanging feeder or they can eat themselves when foraging in the yard. I grow spearmint, peppermint, calendula, thyme, lemon thyme, basil, fresh pea shoots, rosemary, camomile, dill, oregano, marigolds, etc.

I also use to cut and put fresh in my nesting boxes for nesting box herbs. They smell nice and prevent pests. Plus if the chicks eat the leaves, it’s good for them.

I also use lavender essential oil in the cleaning fluid which they love. As I clean the coop out, they go right into it to check the new fresh digs. :)
what do you use for your cleaner? I soak orange peels, oregano, a splash of vanilla, and some sort of mint when i have it in white vinegar (which i also got from her blog). I seen she also does the same with cheap vodka but have yet to try.

Back
Top Bottom