Probability of a double yolk hatch

CuzChickens

CountryChick
7 Years
Apr 24, 2016
Virginia
Hey there guys! I was just outside gathering eggs, and I came across a 3.5 oz egg, and I am considering incubating it. It was laid by my White Leghorn hen who is about 18 months old. I am fairly certain the egg will be fertile, and if so it will be a Speckled Sussex father. So, who out there has hatched a double yolk, and what did you do to insure easiest process? I know this may be a big disappointment, but hey, you gotta try!

Also, how do I know if it is a double yolk and not just an extremely large egg?

Thanks a bunch!
~Cuz

I ended up just eating the egg. lol I decided I'd try if I got another one, but for now I don't have the time to babysit an egg. Thanks anyway!

I've never hatched anything, so I'm the last person to be offering expertise.

But, since double yolks have very little chance of successfully hatching, here is an option you might consider - hatching the egg outside of the shell:

Almost never successful in hatching livable chicks from a double yolker. No reason not to try. Eating it was best--and the hen may not ever lay another?? And if hatching one, it should be with other eggs, incubation of all eggs, started at the same time. Under a setting hen is best trial-set. Incubators, unless you are experienced with your incubator, can be disappointing. And if successful, the chicks grow up as any other chicks, not remarkable or different, except to you- (and reporting them)-but we do like to experience new things and ENJOY our chickens !

Clucklady - what an amazing video. Those school kids are so cute too -- reminds me of the little bit of time I spent in Japan.

For the OP -- there normally wouldn't be sufficient space inside the shell of a double yolked egg for two chicks to have a normal growth cycle. Your odds of hatching a double yolked egg are probably very low.

Back
Top Bottom