Problem: overweight anconas, 15 wks old (more PICS NOW)

I've got the Saxonies because of their size, and I'm originally from Germany so I needed something from my home country.
smile.png
They are to big for my cat, and they chase the cat when they want to. Cat stays clear of them. The dogs are also intimidated and decided to ignore them. Works out well, and I love to have 9 ducks and 4 big dogs laying on the deck with me.
Anyway I cut back the food for now. Her belly is not that big yet, about the size of my finger, so I have to make sure it does not get bigger then that.

I had to use some Vaseline to help it slip back in easier but once half of it was back through the rest slipped right back into place. she didn't lay an egg the next day.. probably because i traumatized her or something, but she is much less fat now and i think that was definitely the cause.

Mine BEG me sometimes and i feel like a jerk but they are healthy and at good weights so they will continue to only be fed at night, until Winter anyway.

ETA: I also do not feed mine corn unless the temps really drop. Only feed & free range.

Last edited:
Had a discussion with Metzer Farms. So this is what I've learned. A keel is not always an indicator of fatness, because some ducks have the genetic trait for having one. However the keel will get very large on over weight ducks. Having a normal keel does not mean they are at risk for prolapse. Best is to weigh the duck before determine that they are indeed overweight. Prolapse is more common in overweight ducks, and larger breeds are at risk as well. He also thinks it is a good idea to keep ducks on the lean side.

here is another fat one. notice the sleek bird to the left:

racoonfat.jpg

sonew! have i got a girl for chuckie!! COULD HE REALLY BE AN ANCONA?? if that is a khaki hen in the background, he is way tooo big to be a lightweight magpie drake. i don't know magpie feet, but I KNOW his feet are just like my anconas............moreover he looks very like some of mine as you can sort of see in the pics..............

YES INDEED, the keel thing is supposed to be present in some breeds, but this type of keel ordinarily shouldn't be--ESPECIALLY in a mere mediumweight breed, such as Ancona. The abdominal keel an abominable keel, ho ho ho. YES INDEED AGAIN, obesity may just be an inherited thing for an individual bird of a lighter-weight breed, as distinct from a breed. though i can't imagine any sane breeder worth his salt actually raising a non heavy breed, yet choosing an overweight bird as a breeder.

one thing is for certain, i am NEVER gonna use these fatties as breeders. another reason for getting extra birds, eh??!!

btw, the only prolapse i have encountered 'in the field' has been in nice sleek khaki campbells. not a bit of extra fat on these girls...........

Last edited:
This fall I am going to fence in my pond area and some of my yard so I can have some ducks and geese on the pond...good thing to know about the food...thanks.

I really think chuckie is an ancona. he is way to stocky, solid looking to be a magpie (lightweight). I could be wrong of course; but i really think he is in faaact an ancona; and the way he dwarfs the campbell (?) in the background...........thick neck.............he's gotta meet Kateri!!! It'll be love at first quack.

Back
Top Bottom