Problem With Baby

sixshooter60

Songster
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Stuart Oklahoma
I have hatched 23 out of 30 a&ms and pharoah they hatched yesterday in my homemade hatcher still got 7 in there waiting.. one of the a&ms has some sort of problem.. he hatched fine and dried off but he cant seem to get his running gear under him.. he lays on his side and and his little legs go a hunderd miles an hour trying to get up but he cant his legs seem to work fine . it kinda reminds me of a turtle on his back and cant flip over to go..he looks fine on the outside but maybe something is wrong inside like a broke back or something .. im guessing.. just wondering if i should give him some more time to see if he gets going or should i go ahead and cull him now . he dont seem to be hurting or in pain because he tries like heck to get up all the time.. just wondering if anyone has seen this before and what it might be and if it gets better or worse... thanks

i am really sorry about your chick.
hit.gif

is it late, because i know (from experience) that that can cause problems. I hope that all goes well!
fl.gif

I have had quite a few chickens hatch and have the same issue, some have taken up to 24 hours before they are ever able to stand up. They will just tip over or fall over, if it had a broken back I wouldn't think it would move its legs much at all

thanks yall for the reply .. no it wasnt late all 23 hatched yesterday within about 3 hrs .. guess i will give the poor little thing a little more time.. i just hate watching it in the brooder laying there on its side with those legs running ninety to nothing and it not going anythere

Is it fully fluffed ? If so maybe you should consider taking him out or turning him the correct way up!

i got him in the brooder now and he seems to be doing a little better but still seems like he cant control his upper body . i will set him on his legs and he will rock back and forth and then try to walk and fall back on his side.. beats me whats wrong with him ...

With chicks it's survival of the fittest. If he makes it he makes it. I would treat him like the rest and do your best. If he doesn't survive you know he had some internal problems and did the best you could. Nothing is perfect in the world. I don't want to sound cruel but that's how it. I hope it picks up some.

Is there a vet near you? Maybe you should take him there? I hope he gets well soon!
thumbsup.gif

yes i do have a vet but he dont do birds..lol...I do have to say this little guy has alot of will to live.. he cant walk but he can kinda do the backstroke to move around . i put some feed on the paper towel infront of him and he will lay there and eat and i watched he paddle his way to the water and rock up on his legs and get a drink.. kinda hard to cull him while hes trying so hard to survive. i guess i will do like quaillady said and just let nature take its course and if he gets better he does and if not then he wasnts suppose to make it anyway...

I have had several chicks with these exact same symptoms in several hatches. They are bright eyed and active but the ability to stand never comes.

I usually just cull right after one day with a chick like this.

I have let them try to make it before. They eat and will drink if they can get to the water. But what eventually happens is that they get pecked on and drug around by their feet by the healthy chicks. Then they get dehydrated and pecked to death.

Back
Top Bottom