Problem with peacock - feathers hanging low around legs

percypea

Chirping
Oct 10, 2015
Hello all,

I have an adult peacock who has been perfectly happy and healthy. Today, whilst he was roaming around he suddenly seemed to take fright and ended up leaping in the air and flapping quite a bit. I didn't see what caused the outburst, just saw him mid-jump. However, after I'd calmed him down and got him back in his pen I noticed that his black/green chest feathers were hanging lower than usual, almost a bit of a skirt around his legs. It's not his wings, it's his body feathers, on both sides. He's been walking around ok, and I've seen him flap his wings and he's leapt up to his perch tonight ok. He had his tea as usual. However whilst he is on his perch I think he might not be sitting down like usual. He seems to just be staying stood up. I can't see any blood or obvious damage so I wondered if he's hurt a muscle or something? Does anyone know what might cause his chest feathers to hang down like this? Unfortunately I can't take a photo as he's in bed now but I will try and get one tomorrow if he's no better.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Elissa

Thank you both for your help. He seems better this morning, still completely normal in himself, and the feathers on his legs don't seem to hanging so lowly. I haven't seen him sit down yet but that's not unusual as he's normally spends the day wandering around. I've kept him in and I'm keeping an eye on him.

He's not catchable. I'm not experienced and he's never been possible to touch because he was extremely scared when we got him. It's probably more likely to cause more harm. I can get a vet to come and have a look at him if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom