Production Red Thread (type thingy)

I guess this thread is a bit old but I want to bumb it.
big_smile.png
Do hatchery RIRs count? They're basically PRs.

I'll just post them anyway I guess. These came from a person with a beautiful RIR rooster that had the nice dark color, but the hens were light so I guess my hens would count as production reds but I like to call them my pet quality RIRs.
tongue.png

First one:
86025_052.jpg

Second one:
86025_053.jpg

First one again:
86025_012.jpg

I have a couple of little 1 week old production reds.

The one on the right and the one on the left. (Different breed chick in the center.)

100_3996.jpg

Awww, so cute! Hoping that at least one of them turns out to be a girl.
smile.png

Last edited:
we need to see more of these.

the term 'production red' is a rather unfortunate term, imho.

they are descended from rhode island reds, although some in some places used NH as a cross with the RIR. Why, i can't figure out, if one wanted a laying machine............

Production reds are simply non show quality, non standard bred RIR (in at least some, if not most cases, excepting those which are part NH).

lovely birds, and i have a bunch and will be breeding them

I just got some" Production Reds" as we are refering to them; all of my chickens are hatchery grade. Theses guys are second generation from McMurry stock. The mature birds mine came from looked great. As I understand it, NHR and RIR have been mixed together in the past to increase egg production. There are "Pure Bred" RIRs, but they are very dark red and a smaller more compact bird. I'm looking forward to crossing my RIR rooster with a White Rock and see if I can breed sex links.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom