Prolapse vent/muscle?

3goodeggs

pays attention sporadically
10 Years
May 22, 2009
North Central Florida
When it rains... It pours. I do not have one hen out of the rehab cage when another needs it.
My husband brought one home that has blood all around the vent. I did searches of past posts hoping for pictures, but most had expired. I have some experience in dissecting things, so I have a feel for what tissue is what, and it looks as if she has pushed her muscle away from her skin, The skin looks ripped, but not pecked. but it could be. It's a mess.

I just washed her up and I was correct. Her vent opening is fine. It is intact. The tissue above the vent has been torn away from her skin. (I guess a chicken could have gotten her. I need a chicken cam to see who the rotten egg is.)
It did look like a prolapse too, but not as bad as the pictures that I have seen. It looked like it was heading back in as I was first examining her, and now it is a fine looking -sphincter, except for the chunk of muscle sticking out above it.

Now. I hate to be like this, but if any of you have heard of the muscle tearing away from the skin and It is a no go as far as her odds. I would rather not put any of us through this. If she has a chance, I will see it through. Other wise, I can't see keeping her in the dark box forever.
HOWEVER, if you think I could super glue her back together, or if time will just make a nice tight scar- so she wont continue to rip herself open with each egg, then We will try your suggestions.

The more animals a person has, the more issues that arise.

as I have not seen her....it is up to you. Pics might help.

I would try to put her back together if it was me. Superglue does a good job, if you can get the area dry for a moment, then get it to seal. Our vet uses one or two stitches (on larger openings) then superglues the area.

be sure to use Neo on the area as well to help prevent infection.

Thanks. My husband has a mental picture of a chicken super glued to himself. He had a cat glued to him with great stuff once, and he wants to make sure it is possible before he subjugates himself to another animal bonding issue.
I think we will be sure to wear plastic gloves, then the worst that can happen is she has gloves glued to her.
Poor thing. I just see a really rough time ahead for her.
I am thinking now that another chicken may have seen the prolapse before it sucked back in and ripped her open above the prolapse. I can not feel and egg in her, and she is not swollen like some of the pictures that I have seen with being egg bound. I will try to figure out how to post a picture.

32107_cimg1771.jpg

I hope this worked. It is difficult to see, but the area above the vent, but not the vent itself is torn. The muscle is sticking out.
If the other chickens did this, then I could imagine that the wall of the cloaca was abused also. I will try to get the muscle to shrink up a bit with the wonder dust, and then clean it off enough to try and glue her back together.

She is in dark box next to the wood stove. She was shaking after we washed her off.

If she starts to look like a lost cause, my husband already said he'd do the deed. Bummer.

Back
Top Bottom