Prolapse? Yolk sac? Hatched today

Valerie24601

Hatching
Jun 2, 2023
This chick is 6 hours old, hatched fairly quickly, seems healthy enough so far, but I'm concerned about the prolapse I'm seeing.
I have a broody hen who does all our hatching for us and she is great...but this chick was hatched by a different hen (1st time mom) who was rough with her babies. So I borrowed an incubator and and I'm worried about the red prolapse coming from the bum. Any thoughts?

20230602_130320.jpg

Attachments

• 20230602_130450.jpg
    20230602_130450.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 7
A few hours ago the protrusion looked like a red snail and now it's flattened out significantly and looks more red-yellow. She's walking around carrying her deflated sac with her so far. Good sign or bad sign?

I had the same problem with a newborn chick so I asked people on this site and apparently the intestines are out so i had to cull the chick so it would not suffer, looks like you have the same problem too
IMG_20230601_171914.jpg

I had the same problem with a newborn chick so I asked people on this site and apparently the intestines are out so i had to cull the chick so it would not suffer, looks like you have the same problem tooView attachment 3526641
Sorry for your loss! The funny thing is (or maybe it's normal) it changed so much since birth. Here's a pic from a few hours ago. You can't see the prolapse in the pic at all, but it was a tough looking red bump.

Attachments

• 20230602_103443.jpg
    20230602_103443.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 9
Just a bit of yolk left. Keep the chick in the incubator, alone, until it's absorbed. The danger is if it ruptures and gets infected. Try to prevent the chick from running around too much, It needs to stay clean and dry.
I'll put her in a bowl in the incubator to keep her separated. There were only 2 chicks under the mother, so just the 2 of them in the incubator

Back
Top Bottom