prolapse

sadieh

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
Oklahoma
I have a 4 month old barred rock with intestine coming out of his vent, I pushed the intestine back in a few hours ago with antibiotic ointment and a glove, but its protruding again. I'm assuming I need to kill this chicken unless someone has another idea. If I do need to kill it, can I process it? is it too young to eat it, they are still eating medicated starter. If I can process it how do I do it?

There are a few things you can try; the prolapse might still heal. Try using Preparation H or honey instead of antibiotic ointment. Put her in a darkened place by herself for two or three days to rest and to discourage egg layng for a few days. Do a search on "prolapse" and see what else people have found helpful.

If you decide to process her, Idon't see why you coudn't eat her. There arre excellent step by step instructions in our Meat Bird section; check out the stickies. Theere are many pictures so you know exactly what to look for, and I believe even a video or two.

OK I was just wondering since its only about 4 months old, and been on medicated feed, I think its a roo so will end up being eaten anyways. Ill try putting it back in with the prep H first

Back
Top Bottom