Prolapsed Vent - At what point would you stop treatment?

Noodleyman

Hatching
Jun 5, 2018
Hi All,

I've recently had a problem with one of my older hens who suffered a prolapsed vent. I've been treating it for around two weeks and there are some improvements but still many issues. I wanted to draw upon the community knowledge to see if there are any other steps I could try.

Firstly, My hen is a Pekin Bantam and her average weight at the moment is 700 grams and she's roughly 4 and a half years old, we're in the UK. She's one of a flock of 5 hens and all my other girls are OK. She's always had a "bit of a weird arse", meaning we've often seen her standing with a stretched neck and wide stance wiggling her bum whilst producing waste. This has been partially normal for her over her lifetime. She's not the best layer and often produces soft shelled eggs even though she is getting all of the calcium / minerals she needs.

A couple of weeks ago I noted she had a very messy bottom, aka vent gleet. Upon a closer inspection I found a prolapsed vent. the other hens had left her alone, there has been no pecking or damage caused to the vent by other hens. She's been in the garage since that day and I've been working on treating her. Each day she is getting:

1) A warm water bath where I clean her up and dry her off. (She's come to enjoy this!)

2) After taking advice from a local vet, I'm treating her vent area with hibiscrub (a skin antiseptic), and then after putting things back in place using vaseline to moisturise the clean area

3) I've also started to use a witch hazel based gel this week as not only as it got an antiseptic property, but also an anti inflammatory property.

She was also starting to be broody at the time she was isolated, which isn't a bad thing as it stopped her laying during the height of her problem.

After a few days in her cage I noted she had an inflamed crop. I started to lightly massage her crop and also added ACV to her water. A day later, the crop had started to return to normal but I noted wriggling in her poop. Yup, round hair worms. I suspect the crop inflammation was caused by the worms and the increased acidity from the ACV made the crop a less fun place to be so they started to migrate backwards. I started all of my hens on a cycle of wormer (flubenvet) and over the next few days noted she was passing dead worms, so it's doing what it should.
Note: not sure how she got so many so quickly as I do worm frequently.

All my hens finished their wormer treatment and I will be following up with a second round in a couple of weeks time.

Overall, my prolapsed hen is her normal self. same personality, eating and drinking as per usual. I'm checking her every 30 mins to an hour and putting things back where they belong when required (battle of the stubborn hen v's the stubborn owner) . I'm noting she's pushed everything back out again usually within 2-3 hours, typically after pooping. We've been doing this routing for a couple of weeks and I'm wondering what my alternative options are. She's got a calcium booster and mineral booster in her food, she's getting extra protein each day as well.

Since being isolated she's layed two soft shelled eggs (She often lays soft shelled eggs and has all her life). The first was a struggle for her and the egg was covered in blood. the second she passed with ease, no blood and no apparent struggle.

So, although she's got a prolapsed vent, she is able to poop and lay eggs.

I assumed most of her issues started due to the worms and hoped as she recovers from that problem things may return to her usual level of normal however as time goes on I'm not sure it will, so I'm wondering if there are other options or at what point do you call it? I'm very reluctant to cull her because she is her usual self in all aspects other than the prolapse.. She isn't in distress (even whilst laying her last egg, but the first was definitely not pleasant for her) etc.

If you had this situation, is there anything you would be doing differently? What would be your thoughts a couple of weeks into the process?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Do you know how much calcium she's actually getting with the "boosters" you put in her food? She could get up to 400mg per day, and that could help the shell issue in just a couple days.

As for the prolapse, it may continue to be a chronic problem. Are you putting Epsom salt in the soak water? That can help so keep up the daily soaks.

If she's still broody, I would encourage it so she has a chance to heal. Laying eggs isn't helping, so let her snuggle down into a nest and let her rest except for the daily soak and treatment with the topical ointment.

Hi Azygous,

Thanks for your reply. The booster I am using is actually an "egg shell improver" which contains 24.5% calcium. I've been sprinkling about 1.5 grams onto a 2 day supply of food, based on your information that would be a boost of roughly 325mg over two days, I think I can increase the boost.

I am not 100% sure of the calcium content of the pellets they eat, we give our hens "mole Valley farmers" generic "layers pellets". We also provide fine oyster shell which she pecks at now and then, but not very often.

I've not been using Epsom salt in the soak water since we are being frequent with other sterilisers. I'll add some in though, it can't hurt.

She isn't still broody, although I've reduced the light in her space and I've given her a straw bed back, so hopefully she might get the brood again. She's layed another soft egg since I posted my original information.

I'm guessing it's going to continue to be a chronic problem, although still not willing to give up on her yet :)

I thought I would provide an update to this topic for anybody who's interested. My hen appears to be getting better, slowly! I think the stubborn approach is starting to pay off.

After her first poke of the day, things have stayed in place today. She's 7 hours into a normal day today. Yesterday she managed a couple stints of 4-5 hours before needing some TLC.

If things continue along these lines I think she should be back to her normal self next week.

Moral, never give up unless your hen makes it clear you should :)

I don’t know what brands you have available in the UK, but a hemmoriod cream such as “Preparation H” would greatly reduce her swollen tissue in a matter of hours.

And a crushed or broken human antacid tablet is an easy way to get calcium into her.

Keeping her in the dark 18 hrs or so per day is said to switch of their laying cycle. You could take advantage of that while the calcium INcrease and swelling DE-crease goes to work.

I hope these suggestions help.

Battle of the stubborn indeed.... I let her run around the lawn with the other girls for a couple hours today, all is well. Until, she's started being wheezy. She's either been stung by something or eaten something which doesn't agree with her. (probably a sting) She's done this once before. Other than sounding like a chew toy now and then and a little swelling above her eye she's ok. So.... back to her quiet cage for a couple more days! treating her for the swelling now. It's like she can't help but find trouble.

If it's not one thing it's another. She's a troublemaker.

Back
Top Bottom