PROLAPSED Vent Issues- HELP

mags2833

Hatching
Jun 28, 2021
Hi everyone!

I have a chicken (Falcon) who I have been treating for Vent Gleet for a week until she tried to lay an egg and prolapsed her vent :/

I tried for 2 days to put it back in and with no luck went to the vet.

The vet stitched her up and we took Falcon home and within 5 minutes she pooped and the vent came back out. We took her back to the vet and they stitched her further with only a tiny hole left.

Now the vent is in but she can’t poop 🙈
she is pushing and only a tiny bit is oozing out. I’m still treating for the gleet, keeping her in darkness for 14-16 hours, only giving her yogurt and spinach, bathing her 3-4 times a day, creams, etc.

I tried to untie the knots holding the stitches in place to loosen it but it’s impossible as they are so tight and small.

It’s Day 3 of stitches and I don’t know what is worse- should I open the stitches and let her poop but risk it all coming out again or leave her for another day or two to let it all heal and hope enough poop is getting out?

The vet doesn’t seem to know much about chickens and is doing her best but googling same as I am.
Any advice from someone with experience with this is hugely appreciated!!

Hmm, this is tough. When hens go broody, they will hold their poop for a long time. And when the do decide to go, it smells really awful. But, it makes me wonder if her just getting a little backed up is better than a prolapse.

When did the Vet figure on removing the sutures?

Hmm, this is tough. When hens go broody, they will hold their poop for a long time. And when the do decide to go, it smells really awful. But, it makes me wonder if her just getting a little backed up is better than a prolapse.

When did the Vet figure on removing the sutures?
So The Vet said 3-4 days for the stitches. So today will be the start of Day 4. I am thinking of trying to cut the knots and attempt to loosen and reknot although I will have little thread to work with so I’m not positive I will be able to reknot it.

its good to hear that chickens can hold their poop! Yesterday she wasn’t as active- when I let her out she kinda stood in a bush and was pushing on and off. Breaks my heart. I tried again to looses the knot with tweezers but it wasn’t working so I decided to leave it for one more day.

Ah! Just don’t know what’s worse- leaving it one more day and letting the poor thing struggle or try to loosen it and risk her blowing out again. Just don’t know how bad it is for her to be sewn up so tight (maybe it’s totally fine but I’ve called 3 vets and none know anything about chickens.)

I guess vets were taught at universities about chickens in a mass farming way- if there is disease among them what to do to cull some of the population to save the rest etc. Only recently have chickens become more pets and therefor looked after. That’s what I’m hearing!

Anyways thank you so much for your help- I feel better knowing that she won’t combust if she has to hold it in a little. Just breaks my heart to see her trying to poop and nothing getting through.

I would call the vet today, and have the stitches removed, if she is not able to poop. The prolapse may come back out, but you can keep it coated with honey or vaseline to keep the tissue from drying out. Then push it back in when you notice it being out. Although broody hens do not go often, they do go in a large amount at once. And they do not eat as much while sitting on eggs.

Yeah she has not been eating much either but I will call the vet today and go from there!

Thank you!!

Update- the vet said I can take the stitches out. It was pretty heart wrenching- as soon as I did it she made a huge poop which was a sign that she had been struggling to get it out for a while.

As predicted, her whole vent has come back out. It’s all a mess. I’m not sure what I can do- it’s a catch 22. If I keep sewing her up, she will be blocked and backed ip and her poop is literally piling up inside of her.

But I can’t just let it hang out. Super frustrating and I don’t want her suffering for long.

Right now she is so relieved to have the stickers out and the feces passed. I’m going to give her a break for a night and call the vet in the am.

Poor thing I don’t know how to help her. I’m trying everything.

Update- the vet said I can take the stitches out. It was pretty heart wrenching- as soon as I did it she made a huge poop which was a sign that she had been struggling to get it out for a while.

As predicted, her whole vent has come back out. It’s all a mess. I’m not sure what I can do- it’s a catch 22. If I keep sewing her up, she will be blocked and backed ip and her poop is literally piling up inside of her.

But I can’t just let it hang out. Super frustrating and I don’t want her suffering for long.

Right now she is so relieved to have the stickers out and the feces passed. I’m going to give her a break for a night and call the vet in the am.

:hugs

Please post some photos.

If tissue is exposed, then keep it sprayed clean the best you can and absolutely keep it moist with an anti-inflammatory cream, honey, etc.

Back
Top Bottom