PROLAPSED Vent Issues- HELP

Ok thank you! I’m cleaning as often as I can and have anti-inflammatory cream from vet although I think honey may be better.

ill take and post some photos after her next clean when I get home!

Hi everyone,

So- here is the latest. It seems at the end of her vent there is a hard, crustlike ball of old flesh that is hard and dry. It is similar to that of an umbilical chord on a baby before they get their belly button. It is still stuck on but seems it could come off soon. I’m trying to get it off but I don’t want to rip new skin off with it. I’m wondering if it will eventually fall off on its own?

The tissue underneath seems fine and not inflamed or irritated from what I can tell.

I’m praying that- it falls off, leaving normal tissue underneath that is small and flat and then she her prolapse will either go back in or I can help push it in. Obviously with this big scab thing at the end it’s not going in as it’s dead tissue (and hard and heavy.)

Aside from that, things look fine however she’s not eating a lot. I’m guessing the back up from the stitches is still curbing her appetite. She did eat a little this morning but she normally eats a ton so she’s not back to normal yet. Sometimes she’s with the rest of the flock while other times hanging back on her own. I guess this will all take a while.

All I want to make sure of is that she’s not suffering. I can handle taking care of her for a few weeks but if she’s miserable and it’s going south I want to do what’s best for her.

For now I want to see what happens I guess?

HERE IS A GRAPHIC PHOTO:
F73D45EE-3F7F-4337-9272-C8763A46F9BA.jpeg

The hardened material may be urates or a scab. It will probably come off after repeated soakings and keeping it lubricated. Tissue needs to stay moist so it doesn't dry out and become necrotic.

This is one instance where I would not keep a bird with the flock in the general population since the exposed tissue can be damaged by picking. It's fine for her to be near them caged so she can see them. You would definitely want to keep flies off the exposed tissue. In warm weather fly eggs can turn to maggots in a day or so, you don't want maggots (Flystrike) to complicate the issue.

Some birds don't eat well when they are like this, so if she's drinking that would be good. Fluids are most important. Wet soupy feed or bits of scrambled egg may be enticing.

I would also give her Calcium once a day. This can help with retention and contractions. 1 Caltrate with D3 is what I would give.

Thank you so much for all of this!

I am giving her calcium so that is good. With the flock, I can just keep her in the run and leave the others out, thanks for the tip. I’ve been watching them and they aren’t going near her so I assumed it was ok but you’re right, best to keep them apart.

And the flies- it’s super hot here so I will try to keep them off. Flies are everywhere this time of year (even in our house as we live on a small farm in Southern Europe) so I will do my best!

Thank you again for all of your help! I will keep you posted!

Ok update- I was able to cut back a bit of the dead skin on the end of the vent last night and more this am. It’s not totally off but I left the part that was still stuck on there.

Then I left her for the day and just got home and seems her vent is back in!!!!! She’s eating and scratching around. I think she’s recovering!!! I am beyond happy.

She is still sleeping white/clear liquid which I am assuming is vent gleet? I’m still giving her anti fungal cream so hopefully that will help?

But seems that the vent is going back in so I am so hopeful now she will be ok!

Back
Top Bottom