Prolapsed vent that won't go back in

noodledog

Songster
Jan 15, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I have a 3 year old RSL with a prolapsed vent that is also leaking what I believe is urates and she's constantly leaking a clear liquid - I've soaked her in epsom salt water every day, tried to gently push the prolapse back in so many times (won't stay in at all, even if held in place for a few minutes), given her calcium citrate + D3 tablets daily, sprayed it with vetericyn and put hydrocortisone ointment on her vent multiple times - it's been four days and it's not getting better. She's clearly in a lot of pain, I've given her Meloxicam daily and she's still eating and drinking. She laid what looks like a lash egg possibly the other day. She also seems to be very underweight as her keel bone is very prominent.

Is there anything else I haven't tried that I should? I don't want her to suffer anymore so if there's nothing else I'm going to put her down. Tried my avian vet but there's not much they can do if she's still laying. Can send pictures if necessary, just want to know if there's anything else I can do for her or if it's cruel to keep trying

Pictures of the prolapse would be helpful, and if you have what you thought was lash material, pictures of that also.
Keeping it moist is the most important thing, don't let it dry out.
Sometimes you have to hold it in for quite a while for it to stay, and it often comes back out when they strain. Some people devise a sort of sling to help hold it in, I will link to a thread that has some pictures of an example of that.
Sometimes you can resolve it, sometimes you can't, just depends on the bird and the cause. Some birds just do it repeatedly. It's your call on how much time and effort you are willing or able to commit to, and whether or not she's suffering.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/successful-vent-prolapse-treatment-with-photos.1101406/

Pictures of the prolapse would be helpful, and if you have what you thought was lash material, pictures of that also.
Keeping it moist is the most important thing, don't let it dry out.
Sometimes you have to hold it in for quite a while for it to stay, and it often comes back out when they strain. Some people devise a sort of sling to help hold it in, I will link to a thread that has some pictures of an example of that.
Sometimes you can resolve it, sometimes you can't, just depends on the bird and the cause. Some birds just do it repeatedly. It's your call on how much time and effort you are willing or able to commit to, and whether or not she's suffering.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/successful-vent-prolapse-treatment-with-photos.1101406/
Thank you for the link, I'll take a look at it. Here's pictures of the prolapse and possible lash material. The prolapse seems to have shrunk and does look better than it did a couple days ago - it was a lot larger. I have been trying to keep it moist. She's constantly fluffed up, huddling in a corner and barely wants to move

Attachments

• 2272877B-773D-4F48-96EF-D6EE7818ECCE.jpeg
    2272877B-773D-4F48-96EF-D6EE7818ECCE.jpeg
    476.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 90FAA698-15CC-4FBA-95DF-06B6F3B193E2.jpeg
    90FAA698-15CC-4FBA-95DF-06B6F3B193E2.jpeg
    556.3 KB · Views: 18
It does appear to be lash material, if you still have it, cut it open and look inside, that will tell for sure. It's probably the cause of the prolapse, and there may still be more material inside. Does her abdomen feel bloated?
Here is more on salpingitis, the cause of lash material. Sometimes they're able to pass some, and may feel better for a while, sometimes it just builds up inside.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

It does appear to be lash material, if you still have it, cut it open and look inside, that will tell for sure. It's probably the cause of the prolapse, and there may still be more material inside. Does her abdomen feel bloated?
Here is more on salpingitis, the cause of lash material. Sometimes they're able to pass some, and may feel better for a while, sometimes it just builds up inside.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
I do still have it and I cut it open. I'll check her abdomen next time I go see her.

Attachments

• 2DF9C0C2-625D-41E6-A399-83EE6562D35F.jpeg
    2DF9C0C2-625D-41E6-A399-83EE6562D35F.jpeg
    480.5 KB · Views: 19
That is lash material. If vet care is not an option (they can test to see which antibiotic might be most effective) then I would try Baytril (enrofloxacin). You can get it without prescription at pigeon suppliers : https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?_pos=1&_sid=a3e74bb01&_ss=r
No reason not to try if you want to, but salpingitis is very often not responsive to treatment. It's a very stubborn thing. You may buy her some time, there are threads where people feel that their birds recovered, I however have not had one recover. I've tried just about every antibiotic out there, and in combinations, with no luck. The best chance is when it's caught early, and the birds hide it so darned well that often by the time you know something is wrong, they've had it for quite a while.
The doseage I use for enrofloxacin orally is 10 mg per kg of body weight twice a day for 5 days.

Thank you, unfortunately the Enrofloxacin would take two weeks or more to get here - if it's not likely to be treatable, I might just put her down, I don't want to make her suffer for longer if she's not likely to get better. They hide it so well so she's probably had it for a while

Back
Top Bottom