Prolapsed vent won't stop laying eggs...HELP Update

keesha63

Chirping
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Hawkestone, Ontario Canada
Hi,
I have only had chickens for 4 months. I have a 10 month old Plymouth Barred Rock that has a vent prolapse. Unfortunately in hindsight I believe she's had it for quite a long time. For the past 6 weeks or so I had noticed the area below her vent was starting to collect poop. I had assumed some chickens with particularly fluffy bottoms this happens to, she appeared normal and happy and was laying daily even now despite the temperature being around 32 degrees and shortened days. Three days ago I figured enough of the messy looking bottom and brought her in the house where I proceeded to spray/soak off all the dropping attached to her feathers. I then found the vent prolapse. She was moved inside to a nice warm spare bedroom. I have been soaking her twice daily in warm water for about 10 mins, covering the prolapse in a mixture of honey, preparation h and triple antibiotic ointment (without painkiller) I have managed a few times to reinsert the prolapse but it continues to come back out. It does appear to be shrinking a little each day BUT she keeps laying :( I followed advice I found on here and so for 3 days she has been in a bedroom with double curtains. I can just barely see anything when I close the door...I have been giving her total daily of just 1/2 cup of chicken scratch with maybe 3-4 tablespoons of layer mix (I know she needs some protein to heal) about 1 tablespoons of probiotic yogurt, some greens (although she's never been a green fan unlike the others) and of course her water. I turn the light on in that room for only about a total of 45 mins only a day and STILL for the past 3 days she continues to lay :( I know this prolapse will not stay in unless she stops laying for even 2 days? She's looking extremely happy in her big bedroom and my husband says she likes it so much in here she thinks she can stay as long as she pays her egg rent! Her comb is still bright bright red this morning.
Does anyone have any ideas on what else to do to stop her egg production?

I'm not sure how dark your room is, but she should start slowing down soon. I have heard of people keeping hens completely in the dark with a tarp over a cage for a couple of weeks. You can take her to an avian vet to have Lupon hormone injections 3 times over 6 weeks, and then every 4-6 months thereafter which will prevent her from laying. She can also be spayed or have a hysterectomy. It is a hard thing to deal with, and some people chose to cull the chicken.

Thank you for the reply. The room is not completely black, but dark enough that I need to turn on a light to make my way around in there. I am hopeful that even with her laying the prolapse does seem to be shrinking a bit regardless. I would think if she stopped laying it would speed up the process. Because she's so young and healthy (aside from the prolapse) I would hope to avoid a cull. If it has not changed substantially by Monday I will contact the vet and see what she thinks.

Thank you for the suggestions. I thought I had won today when I woke up and there was no egg waiting for pick up! But nooooo she decided to lay in the afternoon instead. I am going to see if I can find a vet to look at her tomorrow. I found one locally that has herself listed as an avian vet...but only seems to deal with exotics on her site. I hope "a bird is a bird" and she will see me tomorrow.

If you have the time, and the avian vet doesn't work out, you might try calling some regular veterinarians that might have an interest in chickens. Hope she quits laying soon.

Ty eggcessive. They open at 7:30 so I'll call when I get up. I looked up each of the vets at this clinic and found the avian vet. It said besides working at the vet clinic she has a small farm with chickens and ducks (makes me a little more hopeful!) with any luck I can get her in tomorrow a.m. I was so thrilled when she started laying...I never imagined I would be upset because she won't stop!

I managed to get Thing 1 into the vet tonight. She was able to debride some of the nasty looking tissue that I believe was caused from it being out for so long. She gave her some gas, gave her a bit of a plucking, reinserted it and did the old purse string stitches. She said she looked healthy but her fecal showed she had a bit of a bacterial overload going on from the prolapse. Because she's separated from the rest of the crew with her own waterer, she was able to give me her antibiotics in a bottle diluted with water. I can just put it in her waterer and just let her drink until it's gone. Hopefully she will be back in the crew by this weekend. On a side note...no egg today :) The vet left the sutures a little further apart and felt she could push an egg through JUST in case.

Back
Top Bottom