Prolapsed Vent

XanderWiFi

Songster
Aug 6, 2017
Central Virginia
I never would have seen it if I had not installed their exterior roost bar that allowed a view of "up there." One of my leghorns was on the roost, no distress, and I saw what I imagine to be her vent prolapsing ever so slightly. 1/2-1 inch max. After a few seconds of mental panic she pooped from BELOW the vent sphincter? and it seemed like everything pulled back in to normal.

So I suppose my question is: is she straining too hard to poop and causing the sphincter to push out some or is this just normal chicken anatomy. Normally I just see them squat and poop. Never had the full open view.

Good info for sure. Definitely is not enlarged and irritating like your girl's was. I think it is just normal what I am seeing but wanted to be safe in case it was progressing to something bad.

I have noticed the phenomena you are speaking of when a hen has spent a protracted period trying to push out an egg. The "mini" prolapse did retract right after the egg was expelled, and there were no further issues.

Back
Top Bottom