Prolapsed vent

Pics
Yeah, have been trying to be really gentle. Her squirming doesn't help much lol. She must feel better for sure...she is ornery as heck! Her new favorite thing is to jump out of the box she sleeps in before it is even light out...to see what she can get into before I get to the sun room. This morning had to rearrange routine bc she was already trying to run amok haha. The inside cats were like what the heck and watching through the sliding glass door.
Yeah, sad.
So once she is healed, should I just put her back out(I will do at night etc)? Should I be worried she will prolapse again if she lays? Worried if she lays it will happen again and others will peck her again. Ugh. Not sure how long it may be before she lays again though so may not be feasible to keep in.
The others may accept her back no problem, but often you may have to re-introduce one once they have been gone.

Top part of her vent still has not recessed any. She is getting stressed being crated. Ugh.

Here are a few pictures. Top part sticks out more than bottom part.

Attachments

• 20200816_210621.jpg
    20200816_210621.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200816_210610.jpg
    20200816_210610.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 3
She's pooping o.k.? Eating/drinking, alert, walking around o.k.?
If she is, then I think I would slowly introduce her back and see how she does.
Yep, doing all of those things well and definitely ornery!! She just paces in the crate unless she is eating or drinking. She is so over being inside. Her breaks in the yard are not enough for her and she misses her sisters. How do you usually do your slow intro back? I have a couple ideas I may try that worked before with them(with the broody I had etc) but always good to have a backup lol. Thank you!

You may need to crate her inside the run for a few days...it really depends on your flock. I know my birds can be pretty brutal to anyone new, but some folks have no problems.

Yes, the tissue needs to be all the way back in before you let her with the others. The other girls may peck at it which will damage the tissue.
Keep the tissue moist with ointment or cream.
Sometimes it takes a while for the swelling to go down, so just continue to do what you're doing.
If it's possible, take her outside for a bit, even if it's it not with the others - it will help break up the monotony for her.

Having a prolapse should not be contagious to the others. It can happen with any laying hen.
How much time outdoors? I assume limited, due to the chance they will want to lay again?

How much time outdoors? I assume limited, due to the chance they will want to lay again?
Every situation is different.
Depends on the severity of the prolapse, whether or not there was damage, if the hen has recovered/no more prolapse, she's able to eat/drink on her own - defend herself, etc.
Some hens can be put back with the flock within a day or so. Others may need time to recover/heal. If you are trying to stop her from laying eggs, she would need total darkness for 16 hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom