Prolapsed Vent

Jhs51684

Songster
8 Years
Mar 29, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi,

I have a hen with a severe prolapsed vent. It happened overnight. I've cleaned her and attempted to massage the prolapse back in, but it's not staying. In fact, it's not even coming close to staying in (maybe for 30 seconds at the most). The prolapse is literally the size of a ping pong ball, maybe slightly smaller. I've withheld food since I've noticed (24 hours). She has pooped since and she is walking around and doesn't seem all that uncomfortable. But again, this is a severe prolapse that I just don't see going back in. Is it inevitable that this hen will need euthanized? Any input and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Wait wait wait!!! Before you euthanize her, read this:
1) Carefully clean the prolapse with warm water and then push it back into place before applying Preparation H, KY jelly, hydrocortisone (hydrocortisone worked really well on my hen when she had prolapse!) or petroleum jelly.
2) Witch hazel will help tighten the skin and vent, as well as soothe and reduce the pain and swelling.
3) Applying honey or sugar will help tighten the area as well.
4) Separating the 'patient' and keeping her in a dark, quiet location to prevent pecking by other flock members and to reduce the chances she will lay another egg (a dog crate with a blanket or towel draped over it works well).
5) Withholding feed for at least 24 hours but providing lots of fresh water, followed by several days of light rations of mainly greens will help prevent another egg being laid in order to give the vent time to heal.
6) Clean your hen's vent with warm water, slather her vent with the Green Goo and then apply a healthy sprinkle of sugar to help tighten and shrink the tissue. Repeat this treatment twice a day for a couple of days.
The treatment should be repeated daily until the prolapse has healed; and the hen should be kept separate in a quiet, dark place for the duration to prevent pecking by flock members and to reduce the chance she will lay another egg.
I was basically summarizing this article: https://mychirpychickencoop.blogspot.com/2021/01/prolapsed-vent.html
Hope this helps!

Wait wait wait!!! Before you euthanize her, read this:
1) Carefully clean the prolapse with warm water and then push it back into place before applying Preparation H, KY jelly, hydrocortisone (hydrocortisone worked really well on my hen when she had prolapse!) or petroleum jelly.
2) Witch hazel will help tighten the skin and vent, as well as soothe and reduce the pain and swelling.
3) Applying honey or sugar will help tighten the area as well.
4) Separating the 'patient' and keeping her in a dark, quiet location to prevent pecking by other flock members and to reduce the chances she will lay another egg (a dog crate with a blanket or towel draped over it works well).
5) Withholding feed for at least 24 hours but providing lots of fresh water, followed by several days of light rations of mainly greens will help prevent another egg being laid in order to give the vent time to heal.
6) Clean your hen's vent with warm water, slather her vent with the Green Goo and then apply a healthy sprinkle of sugar to help tighten and shrink the tissue. Repeat this treatment twice a day for a couple of days.
The treatment should be repeated daily until the prolapse has healed; and the hen should be kept separate in a quiet, dark place for the duration to prevent pecking by flock members and to reduce the chance she will lay another egg.
I was basically summarizing this article: https://mychirpychickencoop.blogspot.com/2021/01/prolapsed-vent.html
Hope this helps!
Thank you very much! I am avoiding euthanizing at all costs. I've been doing basically all of these things. I'm just hoping the prolapse will shrink or eventually stay pushed back in place. It doesn't look great right now, but I will keep you posted. Thank you again!

Update:

I've been pushing the prolapse in daily now since the first post (Oct 19) (22 days). The longest it has stayed in at this point is about a half hour (a week ago). It just doesn't seem like this is going to work out. I'm thinking today or tomorrow I will euthanize. Thanks to everybody for their help. Unless there are any last minute suggestions, I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind.
Thanks again.

Update:

I've been pushing the prolapse in daily now since the first post (Oct 19) (22 days). The longest it has stayed in at this point is about a half hour (a week ago). It just doesn't seem like this is going to work out. I'm thinking today or tomorrow I will euthanize. Thanks to everybody for their help. Unless there are any last minute suggestions, I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind.
Thanks again.
The only other suggestion I have is to make a sling out of vet wrap to keep the tissue in, but you've definitely done a lot for this hen.

Back
Top Bottom