Prolapsed vent.

RDchicken99

Omelette Connoisseur
Premium Feather Member
Mar 14, 2021
SW Missouri
Hi BYC! One of my Polish crested hens has decided to procure a vent prolapse. 😕
She’s just about a year old now, and is fed All-Flock with oyster shell available 24/7. She is acting normal, eating and drinking regularly, so it isn’t bothering her very much. I’ve been holding cotton pads to the prolapse, I started off with them soaked in some witch hazel but now just water, the pressure has been helping get it back in but it hasn’t been wanting to stay in. I’ve also been applying hemorrhoid cream. Whenever I try to push it back in manually, it seems to make it come out more. Any tips? Right now she’s in a bin with some food and water with Sav-A-Chick probiotics.

It can be common for a prolapsed to come back out when she bares down or strains. It may take a few days before it stays, but keep the red tissue moist at all times so it doesn’t dry out. Sugar paste or honey may help swelling fo down. Try giving a human calcium tablet or Tums orally if you have any. Keep her separated from the other chickens until her prolapse stays in. Here is a good article about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Back
Top Bottom