Severe prolapse

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
My sweet Mags, a 2 year old WTB (said to be developed from leghorns), has had a severe prolapse this evening. I’ve dealt with mild ones previously and now all the general care. She’s currently in a darkened crate and will have food withheld, cortison cream applied. Just wondering if anyone could guide me on outcome 😭

I noticed Mags had laid a soft egg and that there was extensive amount of blood, very unusual. She continued to strain a bit and I finally caught her. There was a meaty red mass (different texture from the vent and looked separate) and white intestine looking bits hanging out as well. Luckily they all went back in when I applied pressure. Is there hope for her? I don’t want to prolong anything and will cull if needed, but I love this dumb bird. She is so nosey and follows me, I’ve got tons of her chicks, I am really upset right now

Is there anything that you can take a picture of? So the meaty mass was separate of her prolapsed cloaca? Can you give her some calcium citrate with vitamin D now? Tums, or other calcium can work for now.
It looked quite separate, three distinct pieces. The paler pink normal looking vent gaping open, a dark red separate blob not obviously attached to anything, then the white (I’m assuming) guts. I’ve given calcium and will see if there’s anything to take a pic of as soon as I can

Back
Top Bottom