Properly raising

I have 2 ducks that I saved from the day they hatched I don't have a farm or other ducks how can I properly take care of them and love them I want them to be happy
Hi @Meagen89 Welcome to BYC!
First, thank you for saving those ducks and we love to see pictures of them.

To survive the ducks need the following as a minimum:
- water, deep enough to clear their nostrils and preferably deep enough to swim ( in my eyes this is mandatory too!)
- Enough food dedicated to waterfowl because ducks need vitamins chicken need less of (like niacin)
- a safe space to sleep, so they are safe from predators.

everything else is extra ( I'm not saying you need to stop after above list!)

You will get many additional advice here! I'm sure :)

And again, Love to see pictures.
All the best! 💛

do you have a yard? if not please do not keep them. being inside at night is 100% okay, but during the day ducks NEED to be able to play outside and just be ducks

two ducks - always have atleast two ducks, keeping a single duck is cruel and most places will not sell just one duck because of how bad it is

food - ducks need duck pellets, chicken food isn’t good for them. for ducklings i would recommend “mannapro duckling and gosling starter” or “mazuri waterfowl starter”. for adult ducks “kalmbach duck and goose” is my flocks favorite

swimming pool - no matter what people will tell you, it’s so unfair to the duck to not give them swimming water. ducks need to be able to swim daily (even in winter) so they stay healthy and happy. a deep kiddie pool works perfectly!

but you do not need a farm for ducks to be happy, we’ve had our ducks for 3 years in our neighborhood and they are so happy!

Back
Top Bottom