Protein in feed

Freysnes

Songster
Jan 18, 2020
Iceland
Hey there!

I just noticed that the feed our local feedstore sells is only 15% protein. Now reading most of your posts i feel like thats way to low of an amount.
I even looked around online in other stores and considered shipping feed half across the country but the most i could find was about 18%:confused:

Is that way to low? Is there anything i can do to supply them with more protein then they would get from the feed?
Confused momma hen over here 🙄

Salmon or tuna are very good to increase protein, and I have a couple of chickens who come to the back door and beg for dry cat food. I would try to find 20% chick feed or an all flock feed if possible. Gamebird starter here is 24% and might be found, but it just depends on how many farms are around.

Since you have access to an easy protein source (my assumption) being part of a family with a chicken and lamb/sheep meat business, I’d just go for that, if possible (no fillers, no added salt). Fish is good too, but for some reason my chickens have a preference for terrestrial animal protein, although will eat any fish, just not the first thing they pounce on. Assuming that fish is easy to source in Iceland too. Good luck!

I feed them a feed called U2 which basically just means "after 7 week feed until they start laying"

And when you mention dry cat food, its the crunchy pellets right? not the ones in the can

Back
Top Bottom