Protruded anus on baby chick

Goronson Chicks

Songster
Sep 13, 2014
Maine
One of my French Black Copper Marans chicks is a week old and I just noticed that the anal area appears swollen and protruded. Does anyone know what this is or how to treat

Is there poop dried on. If so remove it with a warm wet cotton ball. You might put some prepH and try to massage it back into place. Use a thin rubber glove on the hand doing the massaging. The chick will die if the blockage is not cleaned. It looks to me like it is dried poop on the vent. Soaking with warm wate is a good start. Just keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
Is there poop dried on. If so remove it with a warm wet cotton ball. You might put some prepH and try to massage it back into place. Use a thin rubber glove on the hand doing the massaging. The chick will die if the blockage is not cleaned. It looks to me like it is dried poop on the vent. Soaking with warm wate is a good start. Just keep an eye on it.

OK - thank you and will do. Have you seen this in yours before? What does that?

Your chick has a very common condition called "pasty butt". It's more serious than it sounds. You need to be super vigilant with all your chicks and clean it off as soon as you see it.

Using coconut oil on the delicate tissue will help heal it as well as prevent poop from sticking again.

If not addressed immediately, a plug will form, the poop will back up and kill the chick, and it's a very painful way to die, even though it's one of the most common reasons for losing baby chicks in the first two weeks after hatching.

Your chick has a very common condition called "pasty butt". It's more serious than it sounds. You need to be super vigilant with all your chicks and clean it off as soon as you see it.

Using coconut oil on the delicate tissue will help heal it as well as prevent poop from sticking again.

If not addressed immediately, a plug will form, the poop will back up and kill the chick, and it's a very painful way to die, even though it's one of the most common reasons for losing baby chicks in the first two weeks after hatching.

Thank you - that makes sense to me and your treatment makes sense, too. I happen to keep coconut oil on hand. What makes the anus protrude? Is there poop stuck in there?
Best,
Maureen

The chick is straining to poop, and that causes the delicate tissue to swell and become inflamed. If it continues, the vent will likely prolapse, and that's bad.

Luckily, chicks heal very quickly once the problem is addressed.

The chick is straining to poop, and that causes the delicate tissue to swell and become inflamed. If it continues, the vent will likely prolapse, and that's bad.

Luckily, chicks heal very quickly once the problem is addressed.
I soaked 2 cotton balls in warm water and cleaned it as best as I could, as you recommended, and then used the coconut oil. The bottom part is still really crusted. But I didn't dare rub any more. I'll work on it again more tomorrow. The chick was a little distressed while I was doing it but once I applied the coconut oil it actually seemed relieved. Thank you for the good advice.

Back
Top Bottom