Proud Duck Mama from a science project

syoung6868

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 4, 2014
First of all, let me say HI! I am new to raising ducks. My daughter had a science project where they hatch birds at school and then students take them home (pending parent approval). And lucky me...I said yes. I put up with smelly Nellie (Pekin Duck) in my garage...I watched her make a mess in her house and have to clean it...ugh. Then I started putting her in the pool and found myself with a smile on my face. I found myself talking to her as she roamed the yard. I even found myself playing with her and I'm not sure when it happened! But...I think I love her! OK... I admit it.... I DO LOVE HER!

1) Are you new to ducks/ when did you first get ducks? New to ducks and got her on the last day of school in June. She is about 3 1/2 months old. She's a Pekin Duck.

(2) How many duck do you have right now? Right now???? Funny you should ask because as of today...we have 5! Our new ducklings arrived in the mail today! And I have never been more excited! It was nerve wracking waiting for them to arrive though. So many horror stories about mail order ducks, but if you want a variety. It is the only way to go.

(3) What breeds do you have? We now have one each of Pekin, Choc. Runner, Black Swedish, Buff and Cayuga.

4) Names: Duck names are Nellie, Iggy, Orianna Grande, Luna, and Django (pst...the "d" is silent!!!!) lol

We are in the process of finishing the duck coop and run for the new ones to live. I will post pics when it's finished if anyone is interested!

I am so excited to start this new adventure! And, I look forward to all the support and advice I receive from this forum!

PS I posted this originally in the Chicken Forum...what did I know!!!! LOL I'm new to this! Did I say that?

First of all, let me say HI! I am new to raising ducks. My daughter had a science project where they hatch birds at school and then students take them home (pending parent approval). And lucky me...I said yes. I put up with smelly Nellie (Pekin Duck) in my garage...I watched her make a mess in her house and have to clean it...ugh. Then I started putting her in the pool and found myself with a smile on my face. I found myself talking to her as she roamed the yard. I even found myself playing with her and I'm not sure when it happened! But...I think I love her! OK... I admit it.... I DO LOVE HER!

1) Are you new to ducks/ when did you first get ducks? New to ducks and got her on the last day of school in June. She is about 3 1/2 months old. She's a Pekin Duck.

(2) How many duck do you have right now? Right now???? Funny you should ask because as of today...we have 5! Our new ducklings arrived in the mail today! And I have never been more excited! It was nerve wracking waiting for them to arrive though. So many horror stories about mail order ducks, but if you want a variety. It is the only way to go.

(3) What breeds do you have? We now have one each of Pekin, Choc. Runner, Black Swedish, Buff and Cayuga.

4) Names: Duck names are Nellie, Iggy, Orianna Grande, Luna, and Django (pst...the "d" is silent!!!!) lol

We are in the process of finishing the duck coop and run for the new ones to live. I will post pics when it's finished if anyone is interested!

I am so excited to start this new adventure! And, I look forward to all the support and advice I receive from this forum!

PS I posted this originally in the Chicken Forum...what did I know!!!! LOL I'm new to this! Did I say that?
Hi and Welcome to BYC, ducks just have a way of waddling right into our hearts stinky and all don't they. I hope you'll soon post pics of your new babies and also Nellies pics too. we love to see babies. and maybe you can get some good info out of this link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711 Nice mix of breeds also. Look forward to pics of the new duck house too.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom