Pseudo Brooder Heater 'Plate'

Oh, no problem, and I didn’t read that into it at all! I think @aart and I have fielded about every question that can be asked or wondered about, and with one notable exception, done so pretty courteously and completely. The exception was the lady who argued with me that putting chicks under a heating pad cave was like putting them into an MRI with no chance to get away from it. After a few exchanges, I’m afraid I got a bit, um, snarky. :lau

You should be able to find the Sunbeam in either Walmart or any of the chain pharmacies. But be forewarned that generally speaking, they only have the smaller pads....I do have one of those as well as the bigger pad I got from Amazon. I like having both, because I can set up MHP outside where I brood them, in preparation for their move out there. I set up a small, temporary brooder in the house for the first couple of days, just to watch for shipping or hatching stress. I want to know they are eating, drinking, and know where to warm up before they go out.

Funny you should mention this as a substitute for the Eco-Glow...that’s what I wanted after Katie burned her arm, but they just weren’t in the budget. And @aart’s thread, this one, predates mine. I didn’t know it existed until there was a post about it on my thread, but I don’t hesitate to steer folks over here to see a rousing good alternative to my “cave” set up. :bow

I was also looking at the
Producer's Pride Brooder And Coop Heater. I liked that it had the coop heater too. And it is $40 which is only $5 more than the sunbeam heating pad.

I've been going back & forth on them. I think those will be the last thing i buy since i can't seem to make up my mind!!
The Sunbeam heating pad I bought was only $13.95

@MandaRae
Pictures are best so here you go:
KIMG0334.jpg

I seem to use it for everything but what it's was designed for. I wrap it around my Rabbits water bottle to keep the water thawed. Always wrapping any Electric element like this pad around in a circle really puts it's to the test and this has not failed me yet.

I was also looking at the
Producer's Pride Brooder And Coop Heater. I liked that it had the coop heater too. And it is $40 which is only $5 more than the sunbeam heating pad.

I've been going back & forth on them. I think those will be the last thing i buy since i can't seem to make up my mind!!
I was able to buy the 12”x24” Sunbeam one for $28 three weeks ago from Amazon. One thing I’ve noticed with Amazon is if you look at an item repeatedly the price goes up. Occasionally I will stick an item in my cart and leave it there until the price drops down (if I have the time to wait on it).

I was nervous about using the mama heating pad instead of something “made for chickens”, but I purchased the pad and tested it out (without the chicks) for 24 hours figuring I could always return it if it didn’t work. It did work beautifully and my chicks are currently enjoying it right now!

I just have it covered with an old dishtowel that I will just replace as needed. I decided not to use press’n’seal as I have noticed that when you heat press’n’seal it tends to leave behind a sticky residue. The dish towels seem to be doing its job. However, if the cover gets dirty it does come off for washing.

Here are some photos, pretty much the same as @aart ’s.

FDDC73E4-8E10-462D-8966-4032C8C17907.jpeg 00E969C7-90A4-4EA7-9C6B-9225A3D36292.jpeg 115BB350-1AAE-49D5-BEDF-3FB654CA482B.jpeg 0769E41D-AFAC-46E0-B9DF-5D94B285496B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom