Pseudo Brooder Heater 'Plate'

I got a couple older chicks, approx. 2 and 3 weeks old, so had to prop up one side of the heater so the biggest one will fit.

Still working well. They go under and on top during the day but all under at night.

I am currently using one of these and it is working wonderfully! The chicks love it and are all thriving. They are 4-5 days old today and will be going to their new home this afternoon. I didn't have a way of making the sloped legs so I just propped up one side on some hard plastic cups like they use to serve drawn butter in at Red Lobster. I started with stacking them 3 high, then added a 4th as they got a little taller. I expect to be using this a LOT!

I'm using one on meat chicks and it's perfect for them, as they really don't like a brooder that is too hot, so the lamp is often hard to use at this time of year, with the temps fluctuating from cold to warm/hot. The heating pad solves that problem by providing a warmth that is just right and they can get underneath it or sit on top in the sunshine if they like.

So glad I found this thread when I was looking at brooder options, so I wanted to bump it for anyone else who may be interested. I made mine today even though my chicks wont be ready for 6 weeks. I made mine very similar to Aarts. I think I will add a piece of vinyl table cloth around the heating pad at the top like Aart did. I have the baking sheet raised 2.5". Will raise it as they grow. I figured Id switch the heating pad to a seed mat later on to lower temps as they need it.

@Art

Nice job ....
pop.gif

deb

Awesome Aart! My seed mat doesnt get that warm either, I figured Id use it when they're older & need lower temps.

I get my chicks tomorrow. Ive been adjusting the brooder, checking temps, etc. My pseudo-brooder temp hit 85 underneath on med. setting. Trying out the high setting now. So I added some things. I added a piece of vinyl tablecloth to the top of the heating pad for easy cleaning and put in place with clips. I noticed the wire from the rack gets a little hot underneath so I was thinking about putting a piece of flannel underneath until I had a better idea. I made my daughter homemade flamingo wings for her costume last Halloween so decided to put that underneath instead to emulate a mother hens warm, fluffy bottom. Hehehe! I do have a heat lamp for back up in case this pseudo-brooder doesnt work out or they dont like it. Ill report back tomorrow evening.

Underneath view

Overhead view

Heat lamp in case

Underneath: Feathers and felt

Side view. We raised it up a bit with bolts.

Does anyone know what temperature this is set on?
Depends on what heating pad you use.

It's not like measuring the temperature on the brooder floor under a heat lamp.

Best bet is to make sure the height of pad allows the chicks backs touch the pad, then go by their behavior to adjust the setting on the heat pad.

The best indicator of heat levels is to watch their behavior:
If they are huddled/piled up right under the pad and cheeping very loudly, they are too cold.
If they are spread out on the absolute edges of the brooder as far from the pad as possible, panting and/or cheeping very loudly, they are too hot.
If they sleep under or on top of the pad calmly just next to each other and spend time running all around the brooder they are juuuust right!

I love using a heating pad. The attached pic is missing their little cardboard box that sets on the pad and traps the heat for them. The pad is only about 85 degrees on the surface and they are staying warm enough. also the room temp is 65-70 degrees. This is my 3rd set of chicks like this and I love it.

Back
Top Bottom