Pseudo Brooder Heater 'Plate'

I've found that it is hard to accurately measure the temps of the heater.
I put a remote thermometer/humidity sensor underneath touching the rack and one directly above it on top of the towel.
Using a dimmer extension cord and a kill-a-watt device, here are my findings, all temps are approximate, ambient room temp is about 65:
The variation of temps is I think the difficulty of getting the sensor in the same place.

under top
40 watts 107-110 96
24.5 watts 104-109 97
20 watts 93-98 91
16.5 watts 92 87

The sand floor of the brooder under the rack, about 2-3 inches down, is about 15 degrees cooler than at the rack.
I've left it at about 20 watts and sometimes they stay underneath but they've started to cuddle on top of the towel..

Everyone seems happy..... eating, drinking, pooping and running around......might bump it up a bit to see if their activity level changes.

Introducing a couple 2 week old chicks today....... so that should be interesting!
caf.gif
This is me very interested in how your experiment works. I showed your chick warmer to DH and I think that I will order a heating pad from amazon this week!

I got a couple older chicks, approx. 2 and 3 weeks old, so had to prop up one side of the heater so the biggest one will fit.

Still working well. They go under and on top during the day but all under at night.

I got a couple older chicks, approx. 2 and 3 weeks old, so had to prop up one side of the heater so the biggest one will fit.

Still working well. They go under and on top during the day but all under at night.

Most of the heating pads I find nowadays have an auto-shut off 'feature". Is there a way to get around that?

Most of the heating pads I find nowadays have an auto-shut off 'feature". Is there a way to get around that?
Mine is an old one so doesn't have auto-off, but I've read that other folks have found them where you can turn disable feature.

Mine is an old one so doesn't have auto-off, but I've read that other folks have found them where you can turn disable feature.
This one on amazon can be auto off or stay on. Sunbeam 2013-912 XpressHeatHeating Pad, Extra Large (12" x 24")

It is also machine washable!

Last edited:
What do you think about one of these seedling heat mats along with the digital thermostat? It would be nice to be able to control the heat and have a digital read out. Of course once we add the other pieces, we are getting close to the cost of the premier heat plate.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MT1...&sr=1-1&keywords=Hydrofarm+Seedling+Heat+Mats

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTP...&sr=1-2&keywords=Hydrofarm+Seedling+Heat+Mats
I have no idea if a seedling mat would be hot enough....my heating pad is 100-120 degrees F on the bare plastic surface.

Back
Top Bottom