Puchi

Pics

Humaira

Chirping
May 25, 2018
Hello friends,
I attached a file in this thread.. Please check that..I am having a rooster he is not able to walk what should I do for him.. Please help me I am very much worried about it.

Attachments

• 1539015891267333846672.jpg
    1539015891267333846672.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20181008_220101_HHT.jpg
    IMG_20181008_220101_HHT.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 35
Sorry to say you are heartless, how can you
Not heartless, I care very much for my birds and animals. But what i'm saying is if your rooster's going to be paralyzed for the rest of his life, Unable to move, forage and roost with other chickens, scratch around with like a normal happy chicken would, Then I would just put it out of it's misery. He wont be able to be housed with other chickens, So he'll be depressed and lonely, and unbelievably bored sitting in a plastic tote all day and night.

I understand sometimes people have large flock usually cull for prevention it's maybe cruel even for me too but people who have flock contain 40-50 birds don't take risk
I personally think it's cruel to keep the bird alive seeing the state he's in and I don't see that culling him would be a heartless, cruel thing to do. But that's just my opinion, No need to take my replies personally.

People...you need to understand a couple of things. Puchi’s first language is not English. Puchi comes from a different culture. Things get lost in translation. The presumption that there is bags of chicken feed for them to purchase is not the case. I learn this from a thread with someone else from India. Whole Foods grains and the like is all they have available. They are far as a certain religious group do not believe in killing animals. Although not everyone is lumped into this assumption. So with that said consider the source. Let’s be kind.
Puchi - I’m sorry but my view has remained the same. Show mercy and end his suffering. I personally cannot kill MY OWN chickens. I have a friend who helps me. Perhaps you could find such a person to help you. Best wishes

After reading through this entire thread I’d like to offer my opinion.

Yes. I understand the cultural differences and the challenges of language.

Yes I understand the ease with which we here in the USA and many other countries can drive ourselves to a feed store and purchase everything we need to feed and care for our flocks.

This is not the case for this BYC member.

And @Humaira , our friend, she is a young member.

We all have to take all of that into account.

My background was in both human AND animal medicine.

I am also a mother.

Dear @Humaira , what do you parents think should be done for your bird?

I think you are dealing with a very serious underlying disease process here.

I have many doubts that he will survive no matter what you try to do to cure him, but I would be willing to try for a few days.

First I would try to get him upright, if you can fashion some type of sling to support him to aid in digestion and more importantly, so that he does not aspirate water into his lungs.

Aspiration pneumonia will kill him surely.

A sling, or at least propping him upright may also calm him so that he’s not fearful from being unable to move.
I would guess that a bird in this position would revert back to their natural instincts and feel vulnerable to prey.

I would then try to acquire some soft healthy foods such as cooked egg to see if he will willingly eat. DO NOT feed onions!

*tube feeding is not an option here in my opinion.

Sometimes when an animal is terminally ill they will refuse food and just want to sleep. This is just a fact.

If the animal has the vigor to recover they will try, if tempted with foods they like, but forcing him to eat is dangerous- again because it can be aspirated into the lungs.

His color is alarming.

I would assume that he is lacking in the red blood cells needed to carry oxygen in the blood. ( very low hemoglobin)

If you have any means to feed him iron rich foods -chicken livers is a good one, but I don’t know if they are available in India, I would try.

Culling, Called euthanasia here, is I understand from reading this thread, something that you are not comfortable with.

My personal feelings on it is that it is a blessing that an animal owner can bestow on our small friends, if the end is inevitable and suffering will be great.

Animal doctors here are very kind as they perform this on a patient. They never take this lightly and only do it if they know that ending the animal’s suffering is a kinder act than prolonging it’s life.

This decision is yours and yours alone.

It may very well be that your bird will not recover, no matter how much you love him, because he is so very ill, so if you choose -with your parents guidance and support- to let his life end in a natural manner, I would at least make him as comfortable as possible and provide hydration, gently and often until he passes.

I am sending you hugs.

Last edited:
H

Hmm I to understand you but I love him along I can't cull him and I want to be a doctor, there is a rule for doctors that is try to the end.. Don't give up...so I am going to try my best to cure him.
Doctors creed. Do no harm. A veterinarian is different than a medical doctor. I understand that in India animals hold a different value than here in the United States. But suffering is suffering no matter where in the world you are.

He needs to eat a complete chicken feed. If you feed your chickens only grains, all of them will get a vitamin deficiency and will die like this.

Your bird is suffering. You need to start feeding him a properly nutritious diet. If that helps, good. If he eats a proper diet for a month and does not improve, you need to put him out of his misery. Chickens are active, social animals. He can't get up, he can't walk, he can't play, he can't interact with other chickens. He may as well be permanently shut in a box. If that doesn't improve with proper feed, you need to put him out of his misery, to do otherwise is cruel. It's a harsh reality, but it's a reality- you are responsible for the animals under your care, and when their life is no longer worth living, you must end it. There are worse things you can do to an animal than kill it.

Back
Top Bottom