1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

puffy eye, runny nostral and crusting around the eye and nostral

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lobojoe, Dec 16, 2010.

1. lobojoe

lobojoe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Seattle
    I raise ornimental pheasants and three times now this year I have had a pheasant that has puffy eye, runny nostral and crusting around the eye and nostral. I was told its a respiratory infection but have not been told on how you can cure it. I normally isolate the birds and apply an animal ophthalmic gel some times it works and some times it does not

2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Not sure about pheasants, but with chickens, most infectious respiratory illnesses are not curable. You can treat secondary infection with antibiotics, but the illness is always there & your bird may not show symptoms, but still be a carrier. The illness sometimes rears it's ugly head during times of stress. Of course, unless it's been diagnosed by a vet, you don't really know what the problem is...might be just an eye infection...or more. There is a pheasant section here....you might ask there:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=50

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Infectious Bronchitis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by