Puffy Face

HoglundH

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
California,Lanark Highlands,ON
My Eastern Wild turkey has gradually gotten puffier in the face. I thought it was a normal thing (not having raised one before) but the puffyness has gotten worse and now is closing one of its eyes. She is still eating drinking etc, but I am worried that something serious is wrong. I dont want to have to eat her (yet).

Here is a pic.

puffy_turk.jpg

Thanks,
Harold

I'm no vet, but I have two thoughts you might consider.

First, is I notice the scabs on the top of her head. Has she been fighting with anyone? Turkeys can be real jerks to each other and can give each other big welts and scabs.

Second, I just looked up "swollen head syndrome," or Avian Rhinotracheitis which is an infection that can treated with antibiotics. I've never dealt with that disease, so I won't try to give you any advice on it, but it's something you might want to look into further.

Sorry I can't give you better help, but maybe that's a start.

Poor baby. I feel so sorry for your turkey. I'm not sure what that is. I sure hope that someone comes along with some help. How long has she been like this?

HoglundH wrote: She hasn't been like this very long. She is eating, drinking and gets along with all her cell mates. If it is Avian Pox, it should clear itself up, hopefully.

Doesn't look like Dry Pox. No respiratory symptoms at all? What are her `cell mates'? (I'd isolate her). Could be viral with secondary bacterial infection (`Swollen Head, for instance) but with no resp. symptoms?

Pick up a bottle of Tylan 50 injectable at the feed store and a syringe. Admin. 1-1.5ml orally x3 days (if it appears that this is reducing swelling continue for another 2-3 days).

What are you feeding, has the turk been stressed recently, any changes in droppings? Standing around `puffed up and out, wings hanging down, lower activity level?​

Seems to be getting worse, she is isolated, and I have been giving her Neo Chlor in her water everyday. Here is a recent picture:

PuffyHead2.jpg

She is eating ok and drinking. I have her indoors, so it is out of the wind and snow.

Hoping for the best.

Does anyone know where to get Tylan 50 in canada??

Back
Top Bottom