Pullet bullied to pieces, no tail left! First major injury, help!

I found one of my 12 week old girls tore up like you described, she was bleeding. I gave her a bath with epsom salts and a bit of the iodine spray you get at equine stores, a warm rinse, and isolated her for a few days. I sprayed her tush with that purple stuff, which was very pretty because she's mostly white. She has a beautiful set of tail feather now, about two months later, so pretty I want to go out and take a picture right now to show them off :)
I read that the purple spray makes them smell normal to the rest of the flock so they don't get picked on when you put them back, and for whatever reason, it worked like a charm.
Note-you can't eat eggs from a chicken being treated with the pretty purple antibiotic spray. She wasn't laying yet so it wasn't a problem.

I would love to see pictures Sabrefly! Hearing that your girl's tail grew back in is very encouraging. I do have a liberal amount of BluKote on her tail, to hide the pinfeathers. She's not laying yet, so no worries about the eggs.

When a friend questioned me about the purple, I told her that I'd rather have a healthy purple chicken than a wounded white one. It must be working, because I've caught them all dustbathing together in their dust bin.

Update: Callisto is back outside with the rest of the flock, wearing an extra long chicken saddle/armor to protect her backside. The aggressive Barred Rock is in jail for a few days, and just so Callisto wouldn't be the odd chicken out with a saddle, they all got saddles. Only hers is extra long, though. The others are so preoccupied with their new accessories, they're completely ignoring Callisto and playing nice. No squabbles over the food, no chasing the little ones away from the water. My husband found them all together this morning, even the former second-in-command was behaving.

Love the evening dress look! If she's interacting normally with the others you should be golden.

Back
Top Bottom