Pullet close to laying but pooping only small amounts? Should I be concerned?

chickenfever417

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Nixa Mo
My Coop
My Coop
I have a hen 18 to 20 weeks old. I have been spending a lot of time at the coop the last few days in anticipation that our first egg is coming. Her face has been bright red for about 2 weeks now...

Today I seen her poo 3 times and only about a dime size came out each time. It looks normal all but the size?

She has been drinking 3 times the amount of water as the others, healthy appetite and looks alert and healthy

Should this be something to worry about?

I wouldn't worry about it unless she starts to show other signs of illness. A healthy poop should usually have a white cap on top, although not every poop does. The poop can be the size of dimes, or as large as golf balls, LOL, depending on the speed of the GI tract or how long a birds holds it in.

If she is eating, drinking and acting normally, then there is nothing to worry about. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for responding, I figured I was over reacting but needed to hear all is well
smile.png

Why is she not laying yet....fingers crossed it's going to be soon!!!!

What breed is she? Some don't lay til 24 weeks. I know, it takes forever. LOL

Usually when they start squatting for you, they are getting ready to lay. (squatting....when you lean over them to pick them up, they slightly open their wings and squat down) When they start doing this, the eggs will start coming soon.

Make sure to get everybody on layer feed now. And offer up oyster shell on the side. Calcium not only puts on the shell, but it aids in the contractions to expel the egg.

That first egg is very exciting and for me, I STILL get excited finding those treasures in the nest boxes. :)

Black Sex Link, she has looked this red in the face for weeks now that is why I started to over think things...it should be soon
pop.gif
Thanks for the reinsurance LOL

Back
Top Bottom