Several days & no egg, should I be concerned?

Chickeemariee

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
I have a legbar that’s about a year and a half old and on average lays every other/everyday. It’s been about 4 days now and no egg from her but all the other girls are laying regularly. They don’t freerange enough to have been able to lay a hidden egg and she’s acting completely normal. I picked her up and inspected her and don’t think she had an “egg like object” by her vent but I’ve never really felt around there when I know she’s healthy. Her vent looks normal too.I know the days are starting to get shorter and that can have an effect. Im just wondering if there’s anything else I should be doing?

I have a legbar that’s about a year and a half old and on average lays every other/everyday. It’s been about 4 days now and no egg from her but all the other girls are laying regularly. They don’t freerange enough to have been able to lay a hidden egg and she’s acting completely normal. I picked her up and inspected her and don’t think she had an “egg like object” by her vent but I’ve never really felt around there when I know she’s healthy. Her vent looks normal too.I know the days are starting to get shorter and that can have an effect. Im just wondering if there’s anything else I should be doing?
Since it sounds like she's healthy, it might just be she's going into a molt or is already molting. Sometimes it's not so obvious. Are they on a layer feed and have oyster shell available?

Since it sounds like she's healthy, it might just be she's going into a molt or is already molting. Sometimes it's not so obvious. Are they on a layer feed and have oyster shell available?
Yes she’s on layer feed and has constant access to eggshells. Today she’s started acting very lethargic although still eating and drinking. Her comb is still bright red and it’s floppy but it’s always been floppy. Her vent is a normal pink & not leaking and her crop feels normal although I will check again in the morning. Could this be molting?

Yes she’s on layer feed and has constant access to eggshells. Today she’s started acting very lethargic although still eating and drinking. Her comb is still bright red and it’s floppy but it’s always been floppy. Her vent is a normal pink & not leaking and her crop feels normal although I will check again in the morning. Could this be molting?
Hard to say, some birds stop laying prior to molting while others begin molting, then stop (or slow) laying.

Can lethargy be common in molting? I saw her poop once and it looked normal. I’m just unsure what else it could be.
It's possible. You may also find that birds near molt/currently molting eat less, or don't want to be touched (either by you or by other birds). I have multiple birds molting already, and while no one's being too touchy about it, they're definitely eating less.

It's possible. You may also find that birds near molt/currently molting eat less, or don't want to be touched (either by you or by other birds). I have multiple birds molting already, and while no one's being too touchy about it, they're definitely eating less.
She’s eating less but still eating, also more skittish around me than usual. I guess I have to just wait and see what happens as I’ve never had a chicken molt before. Do you have any suggestions to help them in this process? Thank you so much for your help already!!

She’s eating less but still eating, also more skittish around me than usual. I guess I have to just wait and see what happens as I’ve never had a chicken molt before. Do you have any suggestions to help them in this process? Thank you so much for your help already!!
You'll know for sure if you open up the coop door one morning in the upcoming weeks, and it looks like that particular bird got into a pillow fight.

Not much you need to do for a molt. Some folks like to increase feed protein to help with re-feathering, but I've never bothered. The bird(s) may be uncomfortable with being handled, especially when they're covered in pin feathers, so I would try to minimize any hands-on time, but that's about it.

You'll know for sure if you open up the coop door one morning in the upcoming weeks, and it looks like that particular bird got into a pillow fight.

Not much you need to do for a molt. Some folks like to increase feed protein to help with re-feathering, but I've never bothered. The bird(s) may be uncomfortable with being handled, especially when they're covered in pin feathers, so I would try to minimize any hands-on time, but that's about it.
EB11B8BD-FBA9-4BF7-BC86-59B2EC4E1663.jpeg
Found this poop this morning, looks like some mucous in there. Could this be coccidiosis?

Back
Top Bottom