Pullet crowing?????

coolcanoechic

Songster
8 Years
Oct 7, 2011
Raymond, New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
I brought this bird back to the breeder because I thought it was a boy ( he takes roos back ) and he swears it is a pullet, so I brought it back home. This morning I caught this on video.
ep.gif

I believe it was born mid March. It is 2 or 3 weeks older than the one next to it. It is an Olive Egger and the one next to it is a BCM pullet. The OE is barely starting to get it's waddles, and has a very small comb compared to the OE roo I returned a few weeks ago.

so it's 8-9 weeks old? Too young for saddle feathers. I still think it will end up being a boy, but we'll see for sure in a few weeks most likely. OE/EE for me are slow to develop. I had an EE that everyone here insisted was a girl at 10 weeks but turned out to be a boy. :)

For me, anything that red at that age I'd assume to be male. Let us know how it turns out!

Ha ha, I guess time will tell. The breeder did say to wait a bit longer, but looked very puzzled when I brought the bird back. He was pretty certain it was a girl. I assumed a boy because of it's behavior with the other birds as well as the crowing. He told me that he could tell by the coloring that it was a girl.
I'm new to chickens and find all this very baffling.

Ha ha, I guess time will tell. The breeder did say to wait a bit longer, but looked very puzzled when I brought the bird back. He was pretty certain it was a girl. I assumed a boy because of it's behavior with the other birds as well as the crowing. He told me that he could tell by the coloring that it was a girl.
I'm new to chickens and find all this very baffling.
You'll know for sure in a few weeks, but I think your breeder is wrong. I had OE boys also and they were all the same color as the ladies (until they started getting saddle feathers at 12-13 weeks) but had big red three row combs. Let us know how it goes!

I've heard pullets crow, but not time after time like yours/a rooster. The breeder doesn't want the boy back or doesn't believe you it's crowing. Who knows. Not all people tell the truth selling chickens. I read and see on here so many new chicken owners getting duped. I've never heard of a pullet crowing at such a young age either.

The blazing red comb is a dead give away. The combs are not suppose to be that big and red until 16-20 weeks, more so 20 weeks.

I have a feeling the breeder you bought him from knows it's a cockerel.

I'm sticking to my guns with this one 100% rooster.

Last edited:
Have heard hen attempting something like crowing before and read that if there are no roosters around a dominant hen can take on male behavour characteristics. I would be suspicious, as although it looks like a hen now it may turn out to be a boy. Have been caught out myself and bought a silkie X "hen" that grew and grew and wasn't a hen at all!

Back
Top Bottom