Pullet crowing?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coolcanoechic, May 20, 2012.

1. I brought this bird back to the breeder because I thought it was a boy ( he takes roos back ) and he swears it is a pullet, so I brought it back home. This morning I caught this on video. [​IMG]

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    How old is the bird? if the same age as the one next to it, I say that's a boy. Can't see the tail tho so hard to be sure.

3. I believe it was born mid March. It is 2 or 3 weeks older than the one next to it. It is an Olive Egger and the one next to it is a BCM pullet. The OE is barely starting to get it's waddles, and has a very small comb compared to the OE roo I returned a few weeks ago.

4. Here is a picture I took a couple of days ago.

[​IMG]

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    so it's 8-9 weeks old? Too young for saddle feathers. I still think it will end up being a boy, but we'll see for sure in a few weeks most likely. OE/EE for me are slow to develop. I had an EE that everyone here insisted was a girl at 10 weeks but turned out to be a boy. :)

For me, anything that red at that age I'd assume to be male. Let us know how it turns out!

6. Ha ha, I guess time will tell. The breeder did say to wait a bit longer, but looked very puzzled when I brought the bird back. He was pretty certain it was a girl. I assumed a boy because of it's behavior with the other birds as well as the crowing. He told me that he could tell by the coloring that it was a girl.
    I'm new to chickens and find all this very baffling.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    That's a boy! That's what my neighbors rooster sounded like when he was learning to crow!

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    You'll know for sure in a few weeks, but I think your breeder is wrong. I had OE boys also and they were all the same color as the ladies (until they started getting saddle feathers at 12-13 weeks) but had big red three row combs. Let us know how it goes!

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I've heard pullets crow, but not time after time like yours/a rooster. The breeder doesn't want the boy back or doesn't believe you it's crowing. Who knows. Not all people tell the truth selling chickens. I read and see on here so many new chicken owners getting duped. I've never heard of a pullet crowing at such a young age either.

The blazing red comb is a dead give away. The combs are not suppose to be that big and red until 16-20 weeks, more so 20 weeks.

I have a feeling the breeder you bought him from knows it's a cockerel.

I'm sticking to my guns with this one 100% rooster.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  10. HenFriend

HenFriend Chirping

May 5, 2012
    West Wales, UK
    Have heard hen attempting something like crowing before and read that if there are no roosters around a dominant hen can take on male behavour characteristics. I would be suspicious, as although it looks like a hen now it may turn out to be a boy. Have been caught out myself and bought a silkie X "hen" that grew and grew and wasn't a hen at all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: