Pullet gone mean!!!

Chicky Crazy

Songster
6 Years
Feb 27, 2013
I have an Australorp who I have had since she was a day old.

She was friendly, but ever since I leaned over the roost beside where she was standing one day when she bit my ear she's been aggressive. She pecks hard to! My ear was red two days afterwards.

When ever I go into the coop she runs towards me and tries to peck me hard. I know Australorps are "pecky" but she is just being aggressive.

What's wrong???

BTW She IS NOT the dominant hen...

How old is she? I've had a few peck at my hair and such when I get close to a roost, but nothing mean. (besides broodies haha) I do notice that for a certain time, almost like a teenage rebel stage, my pullets will act off. They're not as friendly, but they grow out of it. It seems they just need to get it out and then the settle and act friendly again.

Have you tried calmly holding her? Just pick her up and take a few deep breaths. Let her settle down before you release her. She shouldn't be trying to attack you that's no fun for anyone. While you hold her try to win her heart with some treats. Don't be discouraged if she doesn't eat from your hand while you hold her right away. It takes a while for them to feel comfortable and relaxed.

If all else fails...(and I don't normally condone such things) bring a broom with you. When she runs at you a good swat should do. Don't hurt her, but show her you're not afraid and she's not your boss. I would try this approach last, but it's just my opinion.

I had weird thought... I'm wondering, because she has spurs, could she possibly have the aggression of a rooster????

Can you post a pic of this "aggressive pullet"? But by eight months surely you'd know if you had a cockerel or a pullet because HE would be crowing by now.

Some pullets are over-eager, and excited when a human gets close. There are some that are overly curious about human features such as ears, hair, and eyes. It's a stage sort of like babies and kids when they want to pick up everything they come across and handle it or taste it. What we perceive as aggression isn't necessarily meant that way by a chicken. As BayBay pointed out, you need to be patient and try calming this pullet.

Chickens are very changeable in their behavior. So your pullet is very likely not going to be this way forever. What I would recommend, because she sounds like she may be a bit high strung, is to be very slow and calm in your movements when close to her, and talk soothingly to her when you approach her. She may be acting this way because she startles easily.

Ok, here's a picture:

I'll try to get an updated picture tomorrow.

I would say she is definitely a she. I've never really had a hen with pronounced spurs. More like a tiny nubbin haha.

I think she's just nervous and acting accordingly. The good news is in one picture you look like you're standing next to her and she's standing still :) over time she'll get better :)

I have an Australorp who I have had since she was a day old.

She was friendly, but ever since I leaned over the roost beside where she was standing one day when she bit my ear she's been aggressive. She pecks hard to! My ear was red two days afterwards.

When ever I go into the coop she runs towards me and tries to peck me hard. I know Australorps are "pecky" but she is just being aggressive.

What's wrong???

BTW She IS NOT the dominant hen...
You need to be the top hen.

When she comes up to her, grab her and hold her down to the ground with your hands. Hold her there for a few seconds. Then let go. Do this to show her you are the top hen. Don't allow her to come up to you without doing this to her. She will start to be more respectful.

She is dominant right now and hens who are like that need to be put in their place. I have been pecked so hard by a hen that I got a bruise but successfully stopped that behavior by showing her that I was top hen. A hen higher in the pecking order would never allow a hen to peck her without a show of dominance.

Back
Top Bottom