Pullet still sick ~duplicate... sorry~

Heather-Feather

Chirping
Aug 5, 2018
Below is a recent post that I put up for my sick pullet. Someone responded saying that he believes she has MG.
We have had her for about a month and a half now and she is still sick. Her eyes have gotten worse, every time I take her out of her pet carrier for eyes are dripping fluid all over my hand. I have flushed them with saline. I have given her Tylan and vetrx. I'm attaching pictures of her eyes still... 20181109_201502.jpg 20181109_201527.jpg 20181109_201609.jpg
... original post.........
Barred pullet. Approx 3 month old. Weights close to 2lbs (guessing). Does seem lighter.
When we first got her, and 3 others, about a month ago they all seemed fine. About a week after getting her we started hearing wheezing and we can notice that she was having respiratory distress when breathing. We immediately put her in a pet carrier and isolated her away from the other three. At the time she had very mucusy discharge coming from her nose and her eyes were very wet looking. We also noticed that the other three started to get sick one by one. They all seem to have done very well with Tylan shots. In fact, at this time, you would never know that the other three were sick. We thought that our Barred was doing much better and put her back outside with the other girls only to notice that she was still acting lethargic, standing still in one place and eyes constantly closed. Upon bringing her back in the house and back into the pet carrier you could see that her eyes were crusted shut. After applying moist paper towel over her eyes they got better, but she still holds them closed. We no longer hear wheezing. Once in a while we do notice that she lifts her head a little bit and opens her beak a small width and breathes and it's not with every breath. But in general her breathing does appear normal. She has been sick for approximately a total of three weeks now. There is no bleeding involved or any injury. At the very beginning she would not eat anything and then when she was feeling better she was eating scrambled eggs and her regular dry food. And drinking as well. Then we put her outside, the first time, and then brought her back inside and she was not eating right away but she started eating within a day or two after. She is eating scrambled eggs still and is drinking. I did not see any worms in the eyelids or in the back of the throat. However this morning I did see one tiny little bug running across her chest before I injected her antibiotics into her breast muscle. It was very small and it appeared to be a light brown color. I did not see any other bugs on her when I looked around. Her bedding is pine chips with in a cat carrier

It sounds like she needs a stronger antibiotic and that is hard to get in the US now, without a scrip from a vet. What is the dose of Tylan that you are using? Good that you kept her separate, but it sounds like she needs some extra time in a very warm pen. She might have mites just because a lot of times when birds are sick they seem to be more subject to external parasites, but obviously that's something that needs to be controlled as well. I don't think they would cause a respiratory problem, but they might be offsetting her ability to recover more quickly. Maybe some Permethrin spray for her and her enclosure...and follow the directions. You should find it at the feed store. How long has she been on antibiotic?

Also, antibiotic eye drops would help, probably. You might look in the feed store for some, I don't remember if you can still get those, but I think so. If not, firststatevetsupply might still sell them on line, as well as other places. If nothing else, you can try just putting a little Triple antibiotic ointment around her eye, with a sterile qtip or very clean finger tip. Get as close to the eye as you can, and it will gradually seep into her eyes. DONT use the kind of ointment that has pain killer in it! Regular Triple A ointment will not hurt her eyes. Do that a couple of times a day, after you're done flushing them with saline. If necessary, you can mix a little ointment with a drop of saline and do it that way. ,

What dosage of Tylan50 are you giving and how long have you been giving it?
I agree with the advice and sugestions that @Eggcessive posted on your other thread earlier in the week.
Mycoplasma responds fairly well to Tylan50 when the proper dosage is given, so you may also be dealing with a virus.
You can find ophthalmic ointments like Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel at most feed stores and online.
Treat her with a Permethrin based poultry spray to get rid of the lice.

Getting the eyes flushed out and the ointment in them will hopefully help her to see a bit better so she can eat/drink.

Let us know how she's doing.

Below is a recent post that I put up for my sick pullet. Someone responded saying that he believes she has MG.
We have had her for about a month and a half now and she is still sick. Her eyes have gotten worse, every time I take her out of her pet carrier for eyes are dripping fluid all over my hand. I have flushed them with saline. I have given her Tylan and vetrx. I'm attaching pictures of her eyes still...View attachment 1585884 View attachment 1585885 View attachment 1585886
... original post.........
Barred pullet. Approx 3 month old. Weights close to 2lbs (guessing). Does seem lighter.
When we first got her, and 3 others, about a month ago they all seemed fine. About a week after getting her we started hearing wheezing and we can notice that she was having respiratory distress when breathing. We immediately put her in a pet carrier and isolated her away from the other three. At the time she had very mucusy discharge coming from her nose and her eyes were very wet looking. We also noticed that the other three started to get sick one by one. They all seem to have done very well with Tylan shots. In fact, at this time, you would never know that the other three were sick. We thought that our Barred was doing much better and put her back outside with the other girls only to notice that she was still acting lethargic, standing still in one place and eyes constantly closed. Upon bringing her back in the house and back into the pet carrier you could see that her eyes were crusted shut. After applying moist paper towel over her eyes they got better, but she still holds them closed. We no longer hear wheezing. Once in a while we do notice that she lifts her head a little bit and opens her beak a small width and breathes and it's not with every breath. But in general her breathing does appear normal. She has been sick for approximately a total of three weeks now. There is no bleeding involved or any injury. At the very beginning she would not eat anything and then when she was feeling better she was eating scrambled eggs and her regular dry food. And drinking as well. Then we put her outside, the first time, and then brought her back inside and she was not eating right away but she started eating within a day or two after. She is eating scrambled eggs still and is drinking. I did not see any worms in the eyelids or in the back of the throat. However this morning I did see one tiny little bug running across her chest before I injected her antibiotics into her breast muscle. It was very small and it appeared to be a light brown color. I did not see any other bugs on her when I looked around. Her bedding is pine chips with in a cat carrier
What dosage of Tylan50 are you giving and how long have you been giving it?
I agree with the advice and sugestions that @Eggcessive posted on your other thread earlier in the week.
Mycoplasma responds fairly well to Tylan50 when the proper dosage is given, so you may also be dealing with a virus.
You can find ophthalmic ointments like Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel at most feed stores and online.
Treat her with a Permethrin based poultry spray to get rid of the lice.

Getting the eyes flushed out and the ointment in them will hopefully help her to see a bit better so she can eat/drink.

Let us know how she's doing.

We've have been giving her .3mg for about a month, muscular. The crackles in her breathing has subsided but she still looks like she struggles to breathe when she stretches her neck up and opens her beak to gasps for air. But it's her eyes that look so sunken in and dripping with fluid. We have been flushing her eyes. We are about to run out to the Tractor Supply store to get the medicine you all have suggested. My husband and I would like to thank you guys for such support this is such a wonderful group to turn to for help. Thank you thank you

We've have been giving her .3mg for about a month, muscular. The crackles in her breathing has subsided but she still looks like she struggles to breathe when she stretches her neck up and opens her beak to gasps for air. But it's her eyes that look so sunken in and dripping with fluid. We have been flushing her eyes. We are about to run out to the Tractor Supply store to get the medicine you all have suggested. My husband and I would like to thank you guys for such support this is such a wonderful group to turn to for help. Thank you thank you

At this rate, I would stop the Tylan50, even though the dosage if likely off, 30days is a long time to be giving injectable Tylan50.
Poor girl must be sore from all those injections.

It would be a very good idea to have some testing to find out what you are dealing with. Check with a vet to see if they can take some swabs, most states have reasonable testing as well and there are independent labs that will accept samples too.
Look up your state lab here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...sease-testing-lab-info.1236884/#post-19849025
Independent testing here:
http://www.zoologix.com/

fwiw - Injectable Tylan50 can be given orally. Dosage is a wide range of 10-40 mg/kg given 2 to 3 times per day. If you use the "mid-range" dosage of 20mg/kg that would equate to .20mg per pound of weight given up to 3 times a day.

I hope she starts to feel better soon. Please keep us posted.

I agree with Wyorp Rock to stop the Tylan. It is only supposed to be given for 5 days. I would always give it orally in birds or chickens so it does not cause muscle damage.

Also, antibiotic eye drops would help, probably. You might look in the feed store for some, I don't remember if you can still get those, but I think so. If not, firststatevetsupply might still sell them on line, as well as other places. If nothing else, you can try just putting a little Triple antibiotic ointment around her eye, with a sterile qtip or very clean finger tip. Get as close to the eye as you can, and it will gradually seep into her eyes. DONT use the kind of ointment that has pain killer in it! Regular Triple A ointment will not hurt her eyes. Do that a couple of times a day, after you're done flushing them with saline. If necessary, you can mix a little ointment with a drop of saline and do it that way. ,

It's been about 2 weeks now that we have been using the saline flush and applying the ointment to her eyes (We bought Terramycin) The crusty ooz has eased some, but she still wakes up every morning unable to open her left eye until I wash it off gently with warm water. It does still ooz at times, but not as bad. She still gasps for air. She does eat and drink as best she can. we are concerned she might be blind in one eye and have difficulty seeing in the right eye. Sometimes it seems she can see me put a bowl of water in front of her and other times she just pecks at the counter thinking the bowl is in front of her. We think she may have Laryngotracheitis. She has slowly lost her voice. She has been constantly chirping nonstop and we suspect that's why she lost her voice. We have to routinely put her by the food feeder for her to eat and then put her by the water. She doesn't fly up at night to roost either. We have to place her up there at night, hoping they don't push her off :( . And we also take her off the roost in the morning for her to eat, and she eats so fast and with her mouth crammed in the food as if she hasn't eaten for days. Her eyes are no longer swollen on the outside. Ive attached photos. 20181124_100753.jpg 20181124_100800.jpg

Have you tried LA-200 and vetrx? Both are available at tractor supply. I use vetrx in the coop to ease breathing issues, and I've read that LA-200 is highly effective for CRD/MG because it's longer acting. I've not used it with my chickens, but it's been a life-saver for our goats, deer, and antelope!

It's been about 2 weeks now that we have been using the saline flush and applying the ointment to her eyes (We bought Terramycin) The crusty ooz has eased some, but she still wakes up every morning unable to open her left eye until I wash it off gently with warm water. It does still ooz at times, but not as bad. She still gasps for air. She does eat and drink as best she can. we are concerned she might be blind in one eye and have difficulty seeing in the right eye. Sometimes it seems she can see me put a bowl of water in front of her and other times she just pecks at the counter thinking the bowl is in front of her. We think she may have Laryngotracheitis. She has slowly lost her voice. She has been constantly chirping nonstop and we suspect that's why she lost her voice. We have to routinely put her by the food feeder for her to eat and then put her by the water. She doesn't fly up at night to roost either. We have to place her up there at night, hoping they don't push her off :( . And we also take her off the roost in the morning for her to eat, and she eats so fast and with her mouth crammed in the food as if she hasn't eaten for days. Her eyes are no longer swollen on the outside. Ive attached photos.View attachment 1598592 View attachment 1598593
I"m sorry that she is still not improving.
If you suspect that she has ILT which is a herpesvirus then antibiotics would not have been that effective and only treated secondary infection.
It would be a good idea to see if you can get some swabs tested to find out what you are dealing with then you can give the correct treatment if that's possible.
Testing can be performed through your state lab system - you can find that here:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Or you can send to an independent lab like this : http://www.zoologix.com/

She is still housed with the other chickens and none have had symptom or they got better quickly with treatment? What are you long term goals with keeping chickens?

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ew-of-infectious-laryngotracheitis-in-poultry

Back
Top Bottom