Pullet with possible fungal skin issue?

I ran two samples under the microscope. Dissected some of the dried skin tissue and then swabbed the liquid underneath those directly. I have a few images but I don't think I found anything that shows yeast or fungus :(
I will attach some pics, in case someone has some insight. I will try and run a culture next. If this info is of any help, the feathers plus follicles come out easily when pulling off scabs. The bloody skin is from her itching so much. These scabs are also so dry and hard, they crack and then bleed :(
Should I do the benadryl next? Anything else I could try?
20210115_171250.jpg
20210115_170151.jpg
20210115_170601.jpg
20210115_174050.jpg
20210115_174003.jpg
20210115_173928.jpg
20210115_170151.jpg
20210115_170614.jpg
20210115_170219.jpg
20210115_170545.jpg

Last edited:
I ran two samples under the microscope. Dissected some of the dried skin tissue and then swabbed the liquid underneath those directly. I have a few images but I don't think I found anything that shows yeast or fungus :(
I will attach some pics, in case someone has some insight. I will try and run a culture next. If this info is of any help, the feathers plus follicles come out easily when pulling off scabs. The bloody skin is from her itching so much. These scabs are also so dry and hard, they crack and then bleed :(
Should I do the benadryl next? Anything else I could try?
View attachment 2490998View attachment 2491070View attachment 2491003View attachment 2491026View attachment 2491027View attachment 2491029
So I did some digging around. The closest thing to this I could find was the spread of Trichomonosis (canker) from the ears. You did mention she had a plug inside her ears. It looks like it can spread in some cases but there's almost little to no information on it. Possibly treat it like a normal 'canker'?

So I did some digging around. The closest thing to this I could find was the spread of Trichomonosis (canker) from the ears. You did mention she had a plug inside her ears. It looks like it can spread in some cases but there's almost little to no information on it. Possibly treat it like a normal 'canker'?
I have canker tablets. I will start her on them tonight. I looked closer at the growths underneath her beak. It's just growing hard mounds. Her ear doesn't have that pus plug anymore, ever since I cleaned it out with an iodine water mix. Canker would also be in the mouth, no? I will try the canker tabs tonight and go from there :(

I have canker tablets. I will start her on them tonight. I looked closer at the growths underneath her beak. It's just growing hard mounds. Her ear doesn't have that pus plug anymore, ever since I cleaned it out with an iodine water mix. Canker would also be in the mouth, no? I will try the canker tabs tonight and go from there :(
Yeah.. unfortunately like I said there's almost nothing online about this, and I've never encountered it. It's very strange because the plugs and it being in her mouth screams canker, but being on the outside of her body is beyond normal. It's usually solely internal. Honestly not sure, but I'm sure treating for canker too wouldn't hurt. I hope she gets better soon!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210115-184754~2.png
    Screenshot_20210115-184754~2.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 4
I was looking at some BYC threads over past years after searching on Google for “yellow peeling skin on chicken.” One case turned out to be cutaneus Mareks disease, and a few were thought to be mites, and other things. If you have any contact with the Florida state lab or University of FL, sometimes you can email some pictures to help get a diagnosis.

I was looking at some BYC threads over past years after searching on Google for “yellow peeling skin on chicken.” One case turned out to be cutaneus Mareks disease, and a few were thought to be mites, and other things. If you have any contact with the Florida state lab or University of FL, sometimes you can email some pictures to help get a diagnosis.
I will contact someone at the University of Florida. This is certainly too strange.

@RosemaryDuck She doesn't have it in her mouth. Just on the outside/ underneath.

She doesn't have raised follicles, she doesn't have any leg issues. She's healthy, eating, drinking, being as active as can be. Those are all signs, even with cutaneous Marek's. I just don't know. I will start the canker tablets tonight, and give her a head and shoulder bath tomorrow. It's worth a try. Before that, I'll try and run a culture. Maybe that will give some insight.

If you try the children's Benedryl, the dose is .5ml once each 24 hours. But as tempting as it is to throw every med at this at once in hopes of seeing some improvement, it would be a better idea to treat with one med at a time. That way you may be able to arrive at a diagnosis if the current med causes improvement.

I agree with @azygous in not treating with a lot of different meds until you have an idea of the cause. I would hold off on metronidazole, since you see no signs of oral canker inside the beak.

Back
Top Bottom