Pullets eating sand?

Egg_cited

Songster
May 4, 2022
My chicken coop🐓
I put a sand box for my pullets they are about 18 weeks old. Now they are digging in it and eating it! They don't even used it to take bathes. Is it alright if they're are eating it? I do provide them with grit but they just munch it down to. So i just sprinkle it around the yard here and there.

What is the size of the grit? Is it chick grit? Your pullets are likely still too small for large adult grit, and they prefer the small particles in the sand. My adult flock have adult grit available but all prefer to consume the coarse sand in their runs and coops.

Very rarely will a chicken consume sand to the exclusion of food. When that occurs, it is a problem, usually one that can't be easily corrected. But generally, consuming sand is not an issue. Just be sure they always have plenty of water available as that is how excess sand in the gut gets eliminated.

What is the size of the grit? Is it chick grit? Your pullets are likely still too small for large adult grit, and they prefer the small particles in the sand. My adult flock have adult grit available but all prefer to consume the coarse sand in their runs and coops.

Very rarely will a chicken consume sand to the exclusion of food. When that occurs, it is a problem, usually one that can't be easily corrected. But generally, consuming sand is not an issue. Just be sure they always have plenty of water available as that is how excess sand in the gut gets eliminated.
Thank you for clearing this up! They do eat their regular food it's just here and there I see them scratching and eating the sand. I'll definitely put them back on chick grit then.

I do provide them with grit but they just munch it down to.
I'll definitely put them back on chick grit then.
If they eat the current size of grit, there is no need to go back to a smaller size of grit.
But yes, it's fine to offer them more than one size, and let them choose.

I put a sand box for my pullets they are about 18 weeks old. Now they are digging in it and eating it!
Are you sure they are eating the sand itself? I've seen chickens scratch around and eat tiny bugs and tiny seeds that I didn't notice until I looked very closely.

Regardless of whether they are actually eating the sand or something else, unless they eat really large amounts, it shouldn't really be a problem.

My girls like the sand. I have a multitude of free grit around the yard as well as oyster shell. They don't like that either. Yes they eat the sand, yes they dust bathe in it. I live in the south where its very sandy. The only problem I have is that the sand collects around some of the chickens butts (not all of them) and it creates a block of concrete that hangs on. Plenty of fresh water. Very frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom